[Solved] Rename sheets

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved] Rename sheets

Postby rdr95 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:27 pm

Hello
I am a new Calc user. My calc file has several sheets; some of these I renamed for easier navigation. When re-opening this file recently to add new data, I found that I could no longer rename other sheets (eg Sheet4 to Newdata) by right-clicking the sheet tab. Instead of the rename option, I get Select all sheets Cut Copy. In the Format menu the options for Sheet are greyed out. What's wrong?
rdr95
Last edited by rdr95 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdr95

Re: rename sheets

Postby Hagar Delest » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:59 pm

Do you use the native .ods format?
Check that the sheets have not been protected: Tools>Protect Document>Sheet.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.0.1 on Windows 7 and Xubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander)
Hagar Delest

Postby Bill » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:33 pm

rdr95 wrote:Hello
I am a new Calc user. My calc file has several sheets; some of these I renamed for easier navigation. When re-opening this file recently to add new data, I found that I could no longer rename other sheets (eg Sheet4 to Newdata) by right-clicking the sheet tab. Instead of the rename option, I get Select all sheets Cut Copy. In the Format menu the options for Sheet are greyed out. What's wrong?
rdr95

I can reproduce this by protecting the document. Tools > Protect document > Document.
Bill

Postby rdr95 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:46 pm

I tried unprotecting the document, but that did not enable me to rename the sheets. I am using files in .xls format; switching to .ods format made no difference.
rdr95

Postby Hagar Delest » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:54 pm

If there is no sensitive data, can you upload a sample here?
If it's bigger than 128 kB, you should use a file sharing web site (like mediafire.com).
AOO 4.0.1 on Windows 7 and Xubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander)
Hagar Delest

Postby rdr95 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:19 pm

There is sensitive data I'm afraid. I can open the file in Excel and rename sheets, no problem. So perhaps my solution is to abandon the idea of moving to openoffice and stick with MS Office.
:roll:
rdr95

Postby TerryE » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:58 pm

If the data is sensitive, you can create a temporary copy and delete the material content of the sheets, so that we can still diagnose the problem and solve it for you. It is little unfair to say "here is a problem. I can't show you it, but because of this I have decided to stop using OOo". If you are still wary of doing this then email the sanitised sheet to me at <my user name>@OpenOffice.org :P
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
TerryE

Postby crusader » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:28 am

I just had to write in support of TerryE's position: abandoning Calc over failure to rename sheets sounds like an extreme move.

If there is a way to resolve your concern, the dedicated volunteers in this forum will find it and share the solution with you - and all other Calc users. If this is an application defect, then at least the issue will be brought to light and a remedy sought. Either way, we all benefit.

I (again) wish to go on record thanking all the volunteers who share their time and expertise helping the growing OOo community. They are an excellent group!
LO 4.2 :) on Vista :(
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
crusader
Volunteer

Postby kingfisher » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:07 am

If it's just one file that has the problem, I'd try extracting the data to a new file using the menu Insert >Sheet from file.
OpenOffice 3.3 on PCLinuxOS. There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Postby rdr95 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:04 pm

I opened both the ods and xls versions of this file today. I was able to rename sheets in both versions; whatever problem was preventing them from being renamed seems to have resolved itself.
rdr95

Return to Calc