Can a chart be snapped to the Calc cell grid?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Recycler

Can a chart be snapped to the Calc cell grid?

Post by Recycler »

I notice that there seems to be no built-in snap mechanism to align and resize charts to the worksheet's cell pattern. My charts therefore look slightly messy on the page because their borders are not quite properly aligned with cell borders.

The OO general snap to grid facility doesn't seem to help because this bears no relationship to the cell size & shape chosen by the user for a worksheet.

I can see that there could be complications with the idea of snap-to-cell layout were the user to 'pretty-up' his charts and subsequently decide to resize a column (for example), but I would have thought that would be a manageable problem.

Am I missing something here, please? Thank you.
acknak

Re: Can a chart be snapped to the Calc cell grid?

Post by acknak »

You can choose to anchor a graphic object (e.g. a chart) either to the page, or to a cell. Neither of these options provides any "snap" to any position: you still have to align/size the object with the cell grid manually, by eye. The "Anchor > To cell" option will try to follow the cell if the cell grid changes (e.g. changing column widths), but it is not very accurate or convenient.

You can turn the grid on, draw some guide lines to help align things, adjust the column/row sizes to align to the guide lines, then remove the guides.

Other than that, I can't think of any other way to help align things the way you want.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23