Disabling autocorrect in Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Disabling autocorrect in Calc

Post by Villeroy »

If this happens to you, you have to type one more slash.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

I tried the extra slash - as you will see:
1/2// gives ½// which is not a valid date
I also tried 1//2 which gives 1//2, which is also not a valid date.
It would seem that the only solution is to either turn off Autocorrect or at least delete the entries for ½ ¼ etc
Attachments
Example.ods
Updated example
(9.93 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Open Office 4.1.11, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You want 1st of February?
1 feb (feb 1 in US context)
2021-2-1
1/2/
1/2/21 (2/1/21 in US context)
works for me.
 Edit: Even 1/2 works for me. But this is because I customized my office suite with templates and styles 
 Edit: The trick is to set the language on the font tab to [None]. This turns off all autocorrect for this particular templates and all documents derived from this template. 
Attachments
MyDefault.ots
My default template for OpenOffice Calc
(10.58 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Last edited by Villeroy on Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

Alas: (all in a column formatted as Date in UK style - DD/MM/YY)
1 feb gives 01/02/21
As does 01/02 , 01/2, 1/02 etc.
BUT typing without a leading zero:
1/2 gives ½
1/2/ gives ½/ - the 1/2 is changed to ½ as I hit the second / !
So even 1/2/2021 gives ½/2021 - ho hum!

Villeroy, I tried your template and even when I set the cell format to text, I could not get ½ or ¼ at all ! :crazy:
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Go to /Tools /Autocorrect Options : Replace tab and select 1/2 ... ½ and press the Delete button. Repeat this for each of the two following fraction replaces.

I have just checked this on a Calc sheet using English UK.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

In my template I set the language on the font tab to [None]. This turns off all autocorrect for this particular templates and all documents derived from this template. Language [None] means: "This is text in non-human language (e.g. source code). Keep every character as typed in!"
Working with styles, you can assing any language to the cell styles that are supposed to format cells with human language.
This way you can switch on all auot-correct options and use them or not in the specific context. You can use all the language specific features in Writer and in specific Calc cells while it does not affect normal sheet cells.
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

Villeroy: Does this apply to Open Office Calc? Out of interest how do you switch back to a style with Arial with Autocorrect?
Although seems a lot of work, when typing an extra zero will do: 1/2 gives ½, 1/02 gives 01/02/2021.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This applies to anything where you can set the language on the font tab of a formatting dialog. Language [None] supresses all auto-correct features in Writer, Calc, Draw and Impress. The auto-correct feature corrects text you are typing right now in human language. [None] is no human language and your typing remains uncorrected.
-----------------
The language option on a number format dialog has no language [None]. This numeric language option interpretes numeric input with comma or point as decimal separator, thousands separator, date input schemes. The availlable number format codes depend on the chosen number format language.
-------------
All this is easy to manage for (classes of) documents and for arbitrary parts of documents if you know about templates and styles. Templates and styles are the core features of any big office suite on the market.
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

Villeroy: I opened your template in Open Office 4.1.8. In the number format dialog box under Language it says "Default English (UK)". There is no option for Language [none]. Am I right you are referring to Libre Office, which is different software?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Villeroy wrote:The language option on a number format dialog has no language [None]. This numeric language option interpretes numeric input with comma or point as decimal separator, thousands separator, date input schemes. The availlable number format codes depend on the chosen number format language.
Number format language is for numbers. On my computer the number format language is "Default (German, Germany)". This means that I did not set any specific number format language. It defaults to whatever is set in Tools>Options>LanguageSettings>Languages>Locale
You enter figures with decimal point whereas I have to use a comma in the same document.
There are cell styles "en_UK" and "de_DE" where I set the number format locale explicitly.
-----------------------------------
Font language is for text.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto von 2021-04-10 14-58-06.png
WeyrleaderZor

Post by WeyrleaderZor »

I would LOVE to know how to do this for text, too.
I am working on a list of data on a table using vlookup, and I want to refer an acronym or code listing for a book table for a book title.
I don't want to have to change EVERY ENTRY to suit the Calc changes to ONE SHEET.
I am trying to put CEoD for one of the codes, on the data I copied and pasted in on Sheet 1, it keeps this format. Trying to type it in manually (or copy & paste that cell from sheet 1) into sheet 2, the data sheet, it auto changes to "CeoD". I don't want that. I WANT to keep it "CEoD" so that the vlookup from the first sheet FINDS IT. And I don't want to go through and change 50 or so odd lines from a table of 500 lines. That would be a tedious PITA. There's no reason I can think of why, even formated as "text" that it MUST correct a second character out of capital letters.
OOo 2.3.X on Mac OSx other + Ubuntu Linux & Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Tools>Cell Content > AutoInput = Off

vlookup is case-insensitive anyway.