problem with text wrap in cell

Discuss the spreadsheet application

problem with text wrap in cell

Postby OOdotOuser1 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:34 pm

When I activate text wrap for cells in Calc in OpenOffice 2.3.1, I end up with some cells still showing that the text exceeds the cell boundary. The small red triangle will be shown. When you go to page preview it shows that all the text will be printed, and it is. Any ideas? This problem does not occur with OpenOffice 1.4.1. In this earlier version, the same cell content will be shown in the editing view and in the page preview. In the new version, the text wraps at the same points as in the old version for the page preview and when it is printed, but it wraps differently and incorrectly in the editing view. This is only for some and not all cells. It seems to have a problem if a word on a line comes close to the right boundary. In the editing view in this case it breaks the line before a word that would end near but not over the right cell boundary, but in the page preview and on the printed page the break comes (correctly) after this word. Please help. I would like to use the newer version of OO.o and convert my files to open document type files, but this problem is stopping me at the moment.

Brian
OOdotOuser1

Re: problem with text wrap in cell

Postby maxqnz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:31 am

What OS are you seeing this behaviour in? That might help others attempting to replicate the problem.
non sum uni angulo natus, patria mea totus hic mundus est. - Seneca
The world's about to end... lucky escape for Arsenal if it did. - Douglas Adams
What's a pieriansipist?
maxqnz

Postby OOdotOuser1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:40 am

The operating system is Windows XP Professional. But, if I remember right, I tried this with a Linux version of OpenOffice that was later than 1.4.1 and had the same problem. I can confirm that later today. I currently use openSuse 10.3 as my primary operating system at home.
OOdotOuser1

Postby maxqnz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:47 am

Thanks. I'm still only on 2.3.0 in XP, but I can confirm this display issue. I too use OpenSuse 10.3, but I'm not sure what version it's running. I've tried updating OOo using Yast, but it keeps telling me that there's no newer version to install.

It seems like this might be worth filing an issue for. It appears to be a display issue, since the information appears correctly in the print preview mode. If you're already registered at openoffice.org, file an issue, perhaps with an example file, and I'll support it with a vote. If you need to register, here's the link:
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/Join
non sum uni angulo natus, patria mea totus hic mundus est. - Seneca
The world's about to end... lucky escape for Arsenal if it did. - Douglas Adams
What's a pieriansipist?
maxqnz

Postby acknak » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:38 am

Yep. Same here: narrowing the column in the editing view, in the smallest steps I can manage with the mouse, the text in the editing view breaks before the text in the preview. I.e., a word will move down to a new line in the editing view, but not in the preview.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby huw » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:42 am

I assume you have all made sure Tools > Options... Calc > General > Use printer metrics for text formatting is ON?
huw
Volunteer

Postby OOdotOuser1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:58 pm

Yes. "Use printer metrics for text formatting" is turned on. I have been experimenting with unsetting this and setting it again and with switching printers selected for the document as well. The program seems to be really flaky when it comes to how it displays text. I say that because, for example, switching printers will result sometimes in text in some cells showing up as exceeding the lower cell boundary by half the text height. Then, and this is sometimes, not always, if you modify the text in that cell, it may start to display it correctly and then also display the text in subsequent cells correctly that were not correctly displayed before. It does not however result in the text in all cells in every worksheet being correctly displayed. Also, I have found that when I switch printers and then look at page preview, it sometimes does not even manage to show that it will print all the text in every cell. Some cells are shown without the end of the text, such as the last word of text, even though wrap is on for all cells. I have downloaded and installed maybe four or five versions of OpenOffice since 1.4.1 and this is always what I run into, and then I end up uninstalling the latest version and going back to 1.4.1. I would be very happy to get past this issue.
OOdotOuser1

Postby acknak » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:14 pm

I would say your best step at this point is to file an issue: Open Office Quality Assurance - Report Bugs, especially since this is a regression. I don't see anything already reported.

If you can include a sample document and screenshots showing the problem, it should help.

I suspect that this is not that big of a problem for most people because they don't depend on accurate text wrapping.

Would it be possible for you to use a Writer table instead?
acknak

Postby Villeroy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Version 1.5 may be another option to upgrade. It has the old user interface and supports ODF.
http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.5/index.html
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby OOdotOuser1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:07 am

Thanks everyone. I submitted this problem as issue 85342.

Brian
OOdotOuser1

Postby acknak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:01 am

Guess what; I think this is just a rounding error. Try zooming in on the editing view, e.g. to 200%. When I do that, the "wrong" red flags go away and the editing view matches the File > Page Preview perfectly.
acknak

Postby OOdotOuser1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:59 am

Zooming did not work for me. The red triangles remained. I did find out that if I select all cells, right click in the row number area and then select optimal row height and OK, that the text wrapping for the sheet appears to be corrected for the content of the sheet at that time. This is not a fix for the problem of course, but it is interesting and it could come in handy. I don't think it will work too well as a work-around though, since you would still have to run the optimal row height command every time a line of text happened to be the length that causes the problem.
OOdotOuser1

Return to Calc