[Solved] Can't delete spreadsheets

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved] Can't delete spreadsheets

Postby SusanN » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:59 pm

Hello,

I've searched the help files and the boards for my answer, but I'm not coming up with anything. I am completely new to spreadsheets. I asked someone to create a collection of sheets for me and what I have is a set of tabbed sheets. It's perfect, but she has a bunch of "sample" sheets in there that I now want to delete. We don't know how to since she is an Excel user and doesn't know OO at all. I looked in the help files and it says I should go Edit > Sheet > Delete. However, I can't do it because Delete is grayed out. The help files also say "You cannot delete a sheet if changes to the document are being recorded, as in when Edit - Changes - Record is activated", but I have no idea if this applies to me or if it does, how to make it stop.

Anyway, any ideas would be great. I'm on Vista with OO 3.0.1. Please let me know if you need more details.

TIA!
Susan
Last edited by SusanN on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
SusanN

Re: Can't delete spreadsheets

Postby TheGurkha » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi and welcome to the forums.

If I understand what you're saying, you want to delete some tabs from a spreadsheet?

If so, right click on the tab you wish to remove and select Delete from the menu that appears.

If this has answered your question please go to your first post and use the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can use the green tick icon at the same time if you like.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Postby SusanN » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Hello and thanks for your reply!

When I right click on the tabs, I get these choices: Insert Sheet > Move/Copy Sheet > Select All Sheets > Cut > Copy. No Delete.
SusanN

Postby TheGurkha » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:37 pm

Try making a new sheet from scratch. Open the Ooo spreadsheet (Calc) and then type a few numbers into some cells, and save it with any name. Then close Clac and re-open, open the new file and see what you get when you right click on a tab.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Postby SusanN » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:28 am

I tried that and get the very same options as before.
SusanN

Postby FJCC » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:31 am

You may have the sheet protected. I get that particular set of options when right clicking the tab if I have protected the sheet, but the particular cell I'm in is not protected. Go to the menu Tools -> Protect Document. If Sheet is selected, de-select it.
I don't know how this could have happened on a newly created document, as I don't see a way to set sheet protection as a default for all new documents.
AOO 3.4 or 4.1 on MS Windows XP ( before 2013-08-03) or Windows 7
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby SusanN » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:35 am

Oh awesome!! Thanks so much!! Yes, the sheets were protected and I was able to unselect that and delete the sample tabs. Not only that, but now I can just keep some of the samples and rename them. Renaming wasn't an option before.

Thanks again!
SusanN

Return to Calc