[Issue] How to change default Borders thickness?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
quyda

[Issue] How to change default Borders thickness?

Post by quyda »

Hello guys

Im using OO 3 on XP SP3 and I dont know how to change the default Borders -> Line -> Style to 0.50pt
I have try F11, modify -> Borders -> Line -> Style but It wouldnt work.

Can any1 show me how?

thanks
Quyda
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
bobban
Volunteer

Re: How to change default Borders thickness?

Post by bobban »

Welcome to the forums

Am I right in assuming you know how to modify the cell borders directly by formatting the cells?

If so, then to make a permanent change to your standard Calc document you just need to modify your default template (the one which loads when you open a new document). See this tutorial.

If this has answered your question please go to your first post and use the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can also use the green tick icon.
OOo 3.1.1 on Ms Windows XP
quyda

Post by quyda »

bobban wrote:Welcome to the forums

Am I right in assuming you know how to modify the cell borders directly by formatting the cells?

If so, then to make a permanent change to your standard Calc document you just need to modify your default template (the one which loads when you open a new document). See this tutorial.

If this has answered your question please go to your first post and use the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can also use the green tick icon.
Bobban

Thank you for your reply
Yes I do know how to change borders thinkness directly, but when I followed the Tutorial that you gave me,
Ctrl N -> Ctrl+1 -> Borders -> Line Style -> 0.50pt -> OK -> Shift - F11 and then follow the tutorial, but It didnt work?
What did I do wrong? (or missing something)

Thanks
Quy
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

Verify that you are indeed changing the default template correctly (perhaps even just try change the default background colour so it's obvious you have done this part right).

Basically,
1) F11 edit the default style and you should see your whole page's borders change.
2) save this as a template (File-Templates-Save)
3) Set that template as the default (File->Templates->Organize->Expand My Templates and select your one then: Commands->Set as the default template).

Open a new spreadsheet and you should see the changes.
quyda

Post by quyda »

Here is what I did

New spreadsheet
F11
Change Font Color (Auto -> Green)
Shift - F11 (My Temp)
Org -> Set My Temp as Default Template
Quite Calc
Reopen Calc -> New

The default Font color is now Green

But when I try
New spreadsheet
F11
Change Borders Line Style -> 0.50pt (without selecting any Line arrangement [Set No Borders])
Shift - F11 (My Temp)
Org -> Set My Temp as Default Template
Quite Calc
Reopen Calc -> New

The Border thickness wouldnt take effect

Why?

Quyda
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

quyda wrote:Why?
I assume it is because you said set no borders. I don't why you would want to do that? :?

If you set all four borders it should work.
quyda

Post by quyda »

bobban wrote:
quyda wrote:Why?
I assume it is because you said set no borders. I don't why you would want to do that? :?

If you set all four borders it should work.
Well, I just want to make the default Line Style to be 0.50pt instead of 0.05pt because:
When I set borders for a cell, it appears to be OK in Calc, but turns out to be dot in Excel (because it's to thin), so by changing the default settings to something bolder would help me from going to Cell Format and change the settings each time.

I certainly dont want to borders the whole sheet.

In short, I just want to Line Style to be 0.50pt (instead of 0.05pt) everytime I go to Cell format -> Borders whether I set borders or not.

I hope you get what I meant.

Thanks
Quyda
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

Yes quyda I think I understand your intention now, but if I am right I don't think it's possible.

You want 0.5pt thickness as the default border so that whenever you set a border that is automatically chosen. Would be really nice to do that, especially if using the toolbar bar borders button to quickly apply them, but as you have found it always default to 0.05pt.

I hope I am wrong and there is a way but I cannot see one.

Perhaps you could make a feature request for this.
lvehko

Post by lvehko »

I have the same issue with not being able to change the default border thickness. If this hasn't been requested as a feature, please let me know and I will do it.

However, I think it is more of a 'glitch' than a feature problem -- I am able to change all the other default settings for my default template (font, background color, etc.), but not the border. It seems to me that the original intent would have been to make the default border weight changeable. Does this affect how I should request attention to the issue? I'm sort of new to this forum, so I want to make sure I put the request in the right place.

Thanks -- LV
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
motes

Post by motes »

Hello
I have the same problem.
Has this problem about "default Borders thickness" already registered as bug or suggestion? What is the issue number of this problem?
I'd like to trace it but I can't find it.
motes.
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 on openSUSE 11.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Search the issue tracker (keywords = default border), you'll find that one: Issue 109452 - default border weight, filed by lvehko.
chud

Re: [Issue] How to change default Borders thickness?

Post by chud »

Just a quick post as this thread comes up on google when you are trying to change all the border thicknesses when moving from Excel and discover you cannot.
Solution -
1) save your document out as 'opendocument spreadhseet Flat XML format' .fods
2) open the XML up in a text editor (gedit)

Look for the styles defining the cells like the below, search for ' solid ', [with a space either side of the word solid];

<style:table-cell-properties fo:border-bottom="0.06pt solid #000000" fo:border-left="none" fo:border-right="none" fo:border-top="0.06pt solid #000000"/>

You can then do a simple search and replace on 0.06pt to something like 1.00pt and then the borders will print thick enough to see like they do in Excel.
libreoffice 3.4.3 on ubuntu 11.10
scombs

Post by scombs »

Thanks for the idea. I had set a whole lot of Excel cell borders and wanted to change the width of all of them at once. I saved as .htm, do a regular expression search and replace as s/\(border-*[a-z][a-z]*\):1.0pt/\1:0.5pt/ (ha yes, I'm still using Vi) and then re-open the .htm file in Excel.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
PeterLairo

Post by PeterLairo »

Hagar Delest wrote:Search the issue tracker (keywords = default border), you'll find that one: Issue 109452 - default border weight, filed by lvehko.
That issue was inexplicably closed because "NOT_AN_OOO_ISSUE".

Anyone know why or how to reopen it?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7 64-bit
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Anyone know why or how to reopen it?
Only the member/developer know why he closed it, who has closed it.

That issue was inexplicably closed because "NOT_AN_OOO_ISSUE".
As I can see this issue (I am not a developer, but I am an user like you):
The original described problem and the commented problem are two different problems (different approaches).

1. The original question was (from lvehko):
Unable to change default border weight in spreadsheet template
This means for me: The User want to modify the default Cell Style temporarly or permanantly. This Style is the parent of every other Cell styles, and the Border Line Width of the child styles will be inherited from the parent style by default. Of course the User can adjust this property: Manually by direct formatting method, or in the properties of the Child Style.
And then the User can decide if he/she switch ON the default border line of the actually applied Cell Style or not.

2. And the comment (from prokras):
I want to use the border toolbar buttons to apply a border with a weight of 0.50pt instead of the default 0.05pt.
The default Line width of the Border Toolbar Icons is an another question: It was developed for the adjusting cell property manually. The applied border line will not be a part of the applied Cell style, but the manually applied property will overwrite the property determined by the Cell Style.
The only one way to modify the default line width of the "default" Borders line with ofToolbar icons: to modify the source code of the AOO.
Or you can use the Cell Styles instead of the manual/direct formatting method. You can create and apply many different Cell Style with the desired border line properties.

I do not know, which approach your (PeterLairo) problem related to?

Conclusion:
Use the Cell Styles. Then the "Cell Border2 Toolbar Icons will be irrelevant for you. (The Styles are the most valuable feature of the AOO/LO.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

PeterLairo, have you tried to change the default style? You've to click the button in the Line arrangement top of the tab (Set All Four Borders) so that the setting is stored in the style. Then it appears in the Organizer tab.