A Suggestion For Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Myrm

A Suggestion For Calc

Post by Myrm »

Hi

I would like to make a suggestion to the creators of Calc.

A handy feature in Excel (or at least certainly in Excel 2007) was that when trying to find a formula that would do what you wanted, there was a box that you could type in simple English what you wanted the formula to do and a list of suggestions would be displayed. For example, I could type in "mulitplication", and a list of formulas along those lines would be presented to me, and I would choose the most appropriate one. Can we have the same in Calc please?

I realise that, in Calc, you can see a list of formulas under different categories, and you can highlight them to obtain a description of what it does, but a good 95% of the formulas might as well be written in a foreign language to me as I have no idea what they mean without going through the laborious process of clicking on each and every one. So something like I have described above would be very helpful.

Many thanks.
Regards

Myrm

"Glöm inter vår Tobias" (In memory of Tobias Enroth 1999-2007)
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Re: A Suggestion For Calc

Post by Hagar Delest »

Don't forget to read the Survival Guide for the forum. For any suggestion, you should create a report in the Issue Tracker (a link to it in the Survival Guide).

NB: moved the thread in the Calc>Formulas forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Myrm

Post by Myrm »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Don't forget to read the Survival Guide for the forum. For any suggestion, you should create a report in the Issue Tracker (a link to it in the Survival Guide).
Oops, sorry Hagar. :oops:
Regards

Myrm

"Glöm inter vår Tobias" (In memory of Tobias Enroth 1999-2007)
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
acknak

Post by acknak »

There are efforts underway to re-organize the Calc function documentation (online help): Issue 71289, but still not quite what you describe. As Hagar suggested, it would be best to file a specific feature request.

You may also find this page (and the pages it links to) helpful for your purpose: Calc: Functions listed by category. At least you can use the browser search (or Google) through a category list. These pages are part of the work going into issue 71289, and I found the link there.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23