[Solved] Cell content is there in Calc, but doesn't show

Discuss the spreadsheet application
vmkern

[Solved] Cell content is there in Calc, but doesn't show

Post by vmkern »

I'm copying content from many small LibreOffice spreadsheets into a big one.
In ONE specific case, PART of the copied cells do not show the copied content that IS THERE (I can see when locating the cursor in the cell).
WTF? :knock: :crazy: :ucrazy:
It does not make any sense to me. If I copy other content over this problematic one, it shows. I'm at a loss.
Thanks for any hint.

selective invisible cell
selective hidden content
Erratic spreadsheet behaviour
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
---------- LibreOffice v. 7.0.4.2 (x64)
RusselB

Re: Cell content is there in Calc, but doesn't show

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
It sounds like the data you are having trouble with contains some formatting code that hides the content.
While the following doesn't explain what is happening, it is an option for working around it.
I'm going to suggest that you use the Paste Special (Ctrl+Shift+V) and select Unformatted Text when pasting this information.
Without seeing the actual spreadsheet, there are too many options to try to guess at why the information is pasting in an invisible format.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
vmkern

Re: Cell content is there in Calc, but doesn't show

Post by vmkern »

Thanks for the sensible input.
I forgot to mention that this content I bring to paste in a big spreadsheet come from many folks. Some of them (against my begging) use the stupidest "Google Spreadsheet" and therefore destroy everything.
Paste special generates some awkward display, but it works. Content is shown.
Thanks!
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Cell content is there in Calc, but doesn't show

Post by Hagar Delest »

Or perhaps selecting the cell and hitting Ctrl+M will remove any weird formatting imported and display the content properly.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
vmkern

Re: [Solved] Cell content is there in Calc, but doesn't show

Post by vmkern »

Hagar Delest wrote:Or perhaps selecting the cell and hitting Ctrl+M will remove any weird formatting imported and display the content properly.
I was unaware of this.
Thanks!
Indeed, CTRL+M clears formatting (all of it, but still better than this stupid invisibilization - which, I discovered, came from MS Office 365/online. No surprise).