[Dropped] Maintain links between Calc files when moving them

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Daikymo

[Dropped] Maintain links between Calc files when moving them

Post by Daikymo »

Hello,

Like many people I now have to do my VAT via spreadsheets that link to one other. Obviously, that's not an issue with sheets within a single file, but I have account files that cover one financial year with the VAT overlapping two financial years (Feb/Mar/Apr).

I copy and link from one spreadsheet file to another and it works fine. However, the back ups, stored elsewhere, don't maintain links between themselves. Given that the links must remain valid for legal purposes I want to find the easiest way to ensure my back ups show all the relevant information, including these between file links.

Could someone advise, please?

Many thanks,

Rich
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dropped: No response from Daikymo when asked for details about the "links"
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Win7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Maintaining links between Calc files when moving them

Post by Villeroy »

I don't see any reason why one should use linked sheets. Simply put everything in one file.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Daikymo

Post by Daikymo »

That is not my question. Each financial year goes in a separate file with everything to do with that year. This system is fine if I can keep links updated and I don't wish to change it.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Win7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Not an expert with Calc but have you made sure that the relative structure on the folders are the same between the original location and the backup location?
Usually links are relative and AOO goes up to the first common root folder and then goes down to the target folder.
First make sure that the structure of the backup folders is identical to the original one.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

We don't even know what "link" means. I know 5 different methods to link one spreadsheet with another, not counting hyperlinks.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Daikymo

Post by Daikymo »

Hagar Delest wrote:Not an expert with Calc but have you made sure that the relative structure on the folders are the same between the original location and the backup location?
Usually links are relative and AOO goes up to the first common root folder and then goes down to the target folder.
First make sure that the structure of the backup folders is identical to the original one.
Thank you. I'll have a look and see what they link to. Cheers
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Win7
Daikymo

Post by Daikymo »

Villeroy wrote:We don't even know what "link" means. I know 5 different methods to link one spreadsheet with another, not counting hyperlinks.
I've linked a piece of data in one spreadsheet to a cell in another. Then I back the spreadsheets up and the link is no longer working between them ie I get ### in the cell.

I just want to link the two and preserve the link to the back ups. I really don't care what type of linking happens and if you know 5 ways then I'm happy with the very easiest one that fixes the issue!

Cheers.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Win7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I've linked a piece of data in one spreadsheet to a cell in another.
Are you kidding? You still refuse to tell us HOW you linked your cells.

There are 4 easy ways and a powerful special one. We can not know which is the right one for you.