[Solved] "Last Entry" Running Totals

Discuss the spreadsheet application
JustBaffled

[Solved] "Last Entry" Running Totals

Post by JustBaffled »

Please can you help me create a simple total by adding together only the latest entries in Columns. I have attached a Sample Sheet which I hope explains my query. I have tried to do this but it needs somebody with greater skills than I have! I have Apache 4.1.10, thank you for your assistance.

Regards, Derek.
Attachments
SimpleSample.pdf
(43.87 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
Open Office 4.1.1 on MacOS 10.11.5
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: "Last Entry" Running Totals

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload an ODF (.ods) type sample document here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

For future reference, when requesting help with formulas it is better to attach a spreadsheet that has sample data rather than a pdf, as, realistically, that is the same as a screen shot, and almost useless.
I'll post again when I have a working solution, unless someone else beats me to it.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try to shift the same year data into same row (where the years what have not data, the data cell will be empty with value zero)

Then you can summarize the last row or all of the rows. And you can use a conditional formula: if the nexr row not contain any data - ISBLANK() - then the result will be an empty string - "" -.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
platyhiker

Post by platyhiker »

In your example, all your columns have steadily ascending values, so the latest value is also the maximum value in the column. *IF* that will *always* be the case, you can just add the maximum values - something like: =MAX(B2:B50)+MAX(D2:D50)+MAX(F2:F50)

If you data will *not* always have maximum value in the latest entry in the column, you can use COUNT() and to figure out where the last non-blank entry is, and OFFSET() to get that value. Here is a formula that will return the latest value in the X column: =OFFSET(B1;COUNT(B2:B50);0;1;1)

Note: In my examples above, I arbitrarily chose row 50 as the point where I expected data to not go beyond; depending on your expected data inputs, you may want to choose a different row and adjust the formulas accordingly.
OpenOffice 4.1.2
JustBaffled

Post by JustBaffled »

Sorry, I didn't think the matter through properly. I have a attached the same example in ODS format. Thank you for all the help received, I haven't had chance to look through them all yet but as soon as I am able I will do so. Thank you all.

Regards, Derek.
Attachments
SimpleSampleODS.ods
(21.09 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A simple way is to use a helper column. See Calc Functions listed by category for SUMPRODUCT

1. Place a 1 in the adjacent column where you want to select the number to be added.
2. SUMPRODUCT the column B3:B23 with the column C3:C23, which gives (B3*C3)+(B4*C4)+ ... +(B23*C23). As every term in C3:C23 is blank except C20, you get 18, the value opposite the added 1. Note I extended the formulae below the figures so it works for the next few years.

Conceptually, it is doomed to fail in time as it relies on user memory to add the 1 so it would be better to set the 1s automatically by climbing up the column C from bottom to top. Do something like (it's not quite correct but you get the idea) If Bn does not have a number AND C(n+1) does not have a number, set Cn to blank (use ""), otherwise set it to 1. This will place a 1 opposite the 18 and blanks everywhere else. Or climb downwards looking for "a cell with a number followed by a cell which does not have a number". The danger with all schemes like this is that placing a space in an empty cell, which is invisible, could mess up the logic if it is searching for blanks.

Diligent examination of Chapter 8 - Using the DataPilot in the manual will no doubt reveal a far more elegant solution.

LOOKUP could select the values based on the year. You enter the current_year as the key and LOOKUP the values using current_year, current_year-1 and current_year as arguments. Similarly with VLOOKUP etc.
Clipboard01.png
Attachments
SimpleSampleODS_jh.ods
(21.11 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JustBaffled

Post by JustBaffled »

Thank you John and thank you everyone who has responded. I will have to spend some absorbing your suggestions and will also follow your advice with regard to the OO online help. In the meantime thank you again and I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards, Derek.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I think this may be a classic XY problem. You want to do X but you cannot. You come up with a solution Y which you find does not quite work and is probably not a good idea. You then ask for help to fix Y.

It is far better to say "I want to do X ..." and ask for help on X. That way we can consider all your options without getting drawn down the possible dead end of Y.

I think something based on LOOKUP and the year is probably much less error prone.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JustBaffled

Post by JustBaffled »

I have set up John's simple solution using a "1" in an adjacent column and it works perfectly! The requirement to remember to insert a "1" isn't an obstacle because the annual inputs are either once or at most twice a year and aren't a problem as as the latest figure is received the "1" is moved at the same time. I did look at the suggestions made by everyone else but John's was the most appropriate for me.

I am still reading up on the "Lookup" solution and will also follow this up in the manual.

Again; many thanks for the expert responses received so quickly and so effectively.

Regards, Derek.