[Solved] Vertical Typing

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Oracle53

[Solved] Vertical Typing

Post by Oracle53 »

How do you type text/numbers vertically in a cell rather than horizonal? I’m using OpenOffice 4.1.9 in iOS on an iPad. Thanks!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on iOS 15.0.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Vertical Typing

Post by Zizi64 »

Do you want to rotate the page (the paper portrait/landscape)?
Or you want to rotate some text on the page?

O
r

s
o
m
e
t
h
i
n
g

s
i
m
i
l
a
r
?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Oracle53

Post by Oracle53 »

Landscape mode but I’m referring to formating text vertically in a cell rather than the default horizonal. I can’t find the right icon in order to do so. I looked through the entire menu.

Yes, I’m running Apache Open Office 4.1.9 on my iPad right now using iOS 15.0.2
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Limited rotation is available inside table cells in Writer, but it is not an easy find:
  • First, select the cells where you need to have rotated text.
  • Select menu item Table - Table Properties, and the Text flow tab.
  • In the Text direction field try selecting "Right to left (vertical)". OK
I have used this in MacOS and Windows installs. Not sure whether "tablet builds" of the suite are shaved down in functionality (like the Microsoft counterparts are). Hopefully you'll find it.

Typing into the cell is a little weird at times, especially when you have multiple lines, but it usually settles sensibly when you exit the cell. Was this what you were looking for?
Last edited by keme on Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Not clear if you're talking about table cells in Writer or Calc.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Oracle53

Post by Oracle53 »

You’re right, the option to place text vertically within a spreadsheet cell is rather difficult to find BUT I did eventually locate it. Many thanks to those of you that helped!

I should have explained what I was attempting to create before I posted my original question. I’m creating a sleep log to record my sleep patterns and the things I may be doing that effect my sleep. Such things include when I go to bed, wake up, nap, take medicine, drink caffeinated beverages, drink alcohol, exercise, and go to bed. The doctor provided me with copies of a paper chart that appears to have possibly been created on Excel. Unfortunately, my hands shake and it’s much easier to use my table to enter the data than writing it in on a paper chart. I’d like the entire chart to fit in the screen on my iPad Pro (9.7 inch) without the need to scroll left or right and include space for at least four weeks of data (twenty eight rows and twenty seven columns per full screen. Maybe include a header with space for my name, DOB, and the doctor’s name.
0BA7EB09-E6BF-4207-8DC6-30A185C7B469.png
Let me know if you have any suggestions. I realize what I have thus far is a VERY simple. The cells beneath each hour are where I’ll insert abbreviations for the data that needs to be inputted.