Converting a PDF to a spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
PhilCurl

Converting a PDF to a spreadsheet

Post by PhilCurl »

HI
Am a new user with OpenOffice & want to know if it is possible to convert a scanned PDF document to a spreadsheet format, the purpose being to fill in details electronically

Thanks
Open Office 4 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Converting a PDF to a spreadsheet

Post by John_Ha »

PhilCurl wrote:a scanned PDF document to a spreadsheet format
A PDF cannot be converted to a spreadsheet.

A scanned PDF? A scanned PDF is an image and cannot be used as the basis for a spreadsheet.

Most PDFs are meant for reading - you cannot enter data into them. Adobe Reader allows you to add annotations, highlights etc.

Some PDFs are what is known as "PDF forms" where you have fields into which you can type and the PDF can be saved with what you typed.

What precisely are you trying to do? I ask because this may be a classic XY problem. You want to do X but you cannot. You come up with a solution Y which you find does not quite work and is probably not a good idea. You then ask for help to fix Y.

It is far better to say "I want to do X ..." and ask for help on X. That way we can consider all your options without getting drawn down the possible dead end of Y.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think you would have to OCR (Optical Character Recognise) the scanned spreadsheet, then carefully proof read the recognised output (watch for confusion between 0 and O, 1 and I and others), then get the data into spreadsheet form - perhaps by formatting a CSV file. You won't get the formuale behind the results you are scanning.

Probably quicker to remake the spreadsheet in Calc.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
PhilCurl

Post by PhilCurl »

I guess what I'm really needing is a PDF form as suggested. The document is a time sheet in paper form which needs to be filled in, scanned or photographed & then emailed to the employer.
Clearly it is archaic and long winded and just wanted to simplify it, but without the original source document it's proving a challenge.
Open Office 4 on Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

That's the short way to do it; the approved method is to compose a Word document, print it and lay it on a wooden table; you then photograph it and email the photo to yourself. It can then be printed and scanned to PDF for eventual use by others.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

PhilCurl wrote:I guess what I'm really needing is a PDF form as suggested.
See Chapter 15 - Using Forms in Writer in the Writer User Guide.

1. Create the necessary text document with Text Boxes for name, date, times etc.
2. File > Export as PDF > General > tick Create a form.
Clipboard02.png
Clipboard02.png (10.91 KiB) Viewed 6311 times
You can type in the text boxes and save the PDF with what was typed.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
form.pdf
PDF form created from form.odt.
(16.43 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
form.odt
Text document with one text box prefilled with "Name here"
(8.97 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A thought: You could use the scanned image as the background to the page and position your text boxes over the appropriate places. The PDF would then look exactly like the original form.