[Solved] How to calculate Average speed

Discuss the spreadsheet application
blakemulder

[Solved] How to calculate Average speed

Post by blakemulder »

Hello! I have a spreadsheet of cycling perfomance data with Time and Distance from which I wish to calculate average speed in KPH. Time is in this format 00:42:15 (42mins 15 seconds) and distance in km (24.6). Average speed is calculated distance divide by time but do I need to convert time to a decimal? Could anybody supply me with a formula to calculate average speed please? I've tried googling, and I can find an online calculator but I have hundreds of entries so I want Calc to do the legwork for me.

Thankyou if you can help
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OPENOFFICE 4.17
WIN 10
karolus
Volunteer

Re: How to calculate Average speed

Post by karolus »

Times are internal fractions of Day…

Code: Select all

=distance/time/24 
does the trick
AOO4, Libreoffice 6.1 on Rasbian OS (on ARM)
Libreoffice 7.4 on Debian 12 (Bookworm) (on RaspberryPI4)
Libreoffice 7.6 flatpak on Debian 12 (Bookworm) (on RaspberryPI4)
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

First you need to understand that spreadsheet time data is based on the "day" unit. Hours given will be a fraction of a day. So e.g. six hours, entered and displayed as 6:00:00, will be stored as (and give calculation results as) the fraction 1/4 (or decimal 0.25). In other words, 6:00:00 is how the decimal number is rendered in "time context".

To convert that "fraction of a day" to hours, multiply by 24.

So, if you have time data in column A and distance in column B, cell C3 may contain the formula =B3/(24*A3)
 Edit: I see Karolus beat me to it. My formula above can also be simplified to his symbolic formula as (specifically) =B3/A3/24 (or =B3/24/A3 if you like) which yields the same result.
I think that the parentheses makes the formula convey the logic behind the calculation better. A matter of taste, I guess... 
blakemulder

Post by blakemulder »

Thankyou very much! will work on it....
OPENOFFICE 4.17
WIN 10