[Solved] Custom Sort Not Working

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jdjr

[Solved] Custom Sort Not Working

Post by jdjr »

So I have followed all instructions - custom list is created, it appears in the sort dropdown menu on the Options tab in the data-sort selection. I select it, and the column it relates to, and click Ok. The data does sort based on that column, but alphabetically - it ignores the custom list. Am I missing something here? Range contains column labels & Include formats are also checked on the Options tab. In addition, if I want to do a secondary sort by another column, it doesn't allow you to uncheck the custom list for the 2nd sort criteria. Basically I want to sort a to-do list by priority (Urgent-High-Low) then alphabetically by task name within those groups. In Excel it's all in the sort dialog. Thanks. Win 7 32 bit, OO 4.1.10
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.10 on Windows 7 32 bit
FJCC

Re: Custom Sort Not Working

Post by FJCC »

I just tried sorting a list using your custom levels and it worked as expected. Can you upload a file showing the problem? To upload a file, click Post Reply and look for the Upload Attachment tab just below the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
jdjr

Post by jdjr »

At this point I would be happy with the 1st criteria working. See attached document with screenshots - spreadsheet before, sort dialog box, select custom list, change column, results. Thanks for looking at this for me. Note: Even after shrinking the photos I have to upload 2 documents due to file size limit. 2nd document is original file before sorting.
Attachments
Open Office Calc Sort Screenshots 09-21.odt
(119.7 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
jdjr

Post by jdjr »

Here is the 2nd document.
Attachments
Open Office Calc Sort Screenshots 2 of 2 09-21.odt
(45.49 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I noticed that your attachments use the .odt extension, which is used for documents, not spreadsheets.
I don't have access to OpenOffice right now so I'm unable to open your attachments, but the extension difference might be making a difference as to what is and isn't recognized in the file.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Please upload a small .ods file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. A screenshot is worthless for diagnosis.

Press POSTREPLY and click the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jdjr

Post by jdjr »

The file I am having a problem with is a spreadsheet. The .odt is a document with screenshots of what happens as I go through the procedure of trying to custom sort. The spreadsheet itself is too big to upload here. I will try making a copy and making it smaller.
jdjr

Post by jdjr »

Ok, here it is. Thanks.
Attachments
MBC Copy 2021.ods
(22.13 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
eeigor

Post by eeigor »

jdjr wrote:In addition, if I want to do a secondary sort by another column, it doesn't allow you to uncheck the custom list for the 2nd sort criteria.
The custom sorting is first applied sequentially to all the selected columns. This is not the same as in Excel (established experimentally).
And two sorts work: the custom one and the one that is specified on the first tab. That is, if the custom sorting is "High,Medium,Low,Done" in descending order as set on the first tab, then the rows will be sorted in the order "Done,Low,Medium,High". Who came up with this?

Your screenshots in the document are very blurry. I did it roughly.
Everything seems to work in LO Calc. The file you attached does not contain a custom sorting list. Alas, we will have to create it on our computer first.
Attachments
Снимок экрана от 2021-09-21 08-27-36.png
Снимок экрана от 2021-09-21 07-52-26.png
Снимок экрана от 2021-09-21 07-52-19.png
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS • LibreOffice 7.5.3.2 Community
eeigor

Post by eeigor »

Pay attention: I changed the text in the first field from "Research music libraries" to "Done", and the custom sorting also works here raising "Done" to the first position in the group.
Nonsense? Or is it so intended? This mechanism is definitely more transparent in Excel.
Attachments
Снимок экрана от 2021-09-21 08-34-58.png
jdjr

Post by jdjr »

This is the reverse of what I intended. High (Urgent is the top priority, but I didn't have a record with that in the example I sent, sorry), then Med, Low, Done. It looks like you had the same issue as me - the result is showing Done on top. I tried changing one of the Medium records to Urgent to see what happens, and it's even weirder, no logical order (Done, Done, Done, High, Done, Done, Medium).
Attachments
MBC Copy 2021.ods
(18.04 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Tools > Options > Calc > Sort lists. Define a new sort list with Urgent, High, Medium, Low, Done
2. Data > Sort > Sort Criteria > Priority >>>>> did you forget this step to choose the column???
3. Data > Sort > Options > select the sort list.

See file - all done.
Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard02.gif
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
MBC Copy 2021_sort.ods
(23.89 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
eeigor

Post by eeigor »

@John_Ha, but everything works for me too! I just explored the dark sides of custom sorting.
Based on my research, don't you find the custom sort a little kinky compared to Excel? Excel cannot sort data using a custom sort in reverse order. And in Excel, the custom sort is tied to a specific column, not all of the columns selected in the first tab.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

This is a forum about AOO/LO, not Excel. I have no recent experience of Excel.

AOO and Excel are different programs independently written by different people. You should not expect them to behave identically or have identical function.

Their claimed compatibility is at the file level - each can open the other's file. See [Tutorial] Differences between Microsoft and AOO/LO files for an explanation, a description of differences and for why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp, etc.

In SORT, you select a range of data which is to be sorted. You then select one or more columns on which the sort is to be based.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.