[Solved] Preventing update

Discuss the spreadsheet application
robbyn

[Solved] Preventing update

Post by robbyn »

I need to edit a complex inter connected spreadsheet. I would like to turn off all updating until I have finished the editing. Is it possible? The reason I ask is that every time I make a change I have to wait a long time to be able to do the next one.
(I am not referring to only stopping updating when the sheet is opened.)
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Libreoffice v7.2.0.4 on Ubuntu 20.04 Locale en-GB
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Preventing update

Post by John_Ha »

It sounds like you shouldn't be using a spreadsheet if it is that complex. The average PC can do millions if not billions of calculations a second. For example, updating a 1.4 MB .ods file with 80,000 cells each needing calculating, needing about 1,000,000 calculations is almost instantaneous.

Switch off Data > Calculate > Autocalculate.

Use F9 to force a calculate.

Be very careful you don't forget ...

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
sample_test.ods
Copy down to 10,000
(13.73 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
robbyn

Re: [SOLVED] Preventing update

Post by robbyn »

Thank you. Most of the problem comes from using live external data that is scraped into the spreadsheet.
Libreoffice v7.2.0.4 on Ubuntu 20.04 Locale en-GB
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [SOLVED] Preventing update

Post by John_Ha »

robbyn wrote:Most of the problem comes from using live external data that is scraped into the spreadsheet.
Separate the tasks. Have a process to get the remote data into a file. Read from the file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.