[Solved] [Workaround] Second chart appears as thumbmail

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Lionheart123

[Solved] [Workaround] Second chart appears as thumbmail

Post by Lionheart123 »

I am quite experienced with OpenOffice but have run into a problem that I have never had before.

When inserting a second chart into a sheet it appears as a funny thumbnail instead of the chart. when you click on it the size of the chart is shown with the expected boundaries, but the area is blank until you right click and choose Edit. Then the chart appears as expected but goes back to a thumbnail when you leave the edit area.

Anyone got any idea how to get it to show the chart instead of a thumbnail?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Open Office 4.1.6 Windows 10
Lionheart123

Re: Second chart appears as thumbmail

Post by Lionheart123 »

Here are two screenshots. The first
Spreadsheet.jpg
shows the thumbnail of the second chart next to the main chart and the second image
Spreadsheet2.jpg
shows the second chart displayed after right clicking and selecting Edit
Lionheart123

Re: Second chart appears as thumbmail

Post by Lionheart123 »

Thanks for the input. Adjusting the size and position was not the problem. On the first image you can see the green resizing marks. but the area within is totally blank apart from the thumbnail top left of the area.

I've got round the problem by deleting the faulty chart and creating a new chart lower down. I am well used to creating charts and multiple ones in the same sheet and this weird thumbnail version of the chart has never happened before.

I wasted a LOT of time trying to get around the problem before posting on here. Heaven only knows why it was insisting on creating a faulty chart. I am sorry you found the images unhelpful I tired hard to illustrate the problem.

Editing the file to remove confidential data is too big a job and I already edited the images to not show confidential data.

Anyway I worked around the problem, but would be interested if anyone else has had it.
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: [Solved-Workaround] Second chart appears as thumbmail

Post by Lupp »

Without an example file showing (producing) the issue, I only can guess there was a curriculum vitae of the "second chart" making it actually a graphical shape without a real chart embedded. This may probably have happened when trying to prepare the chart for insertion into a different application - or by re-importing it from there.
If "the chart" still could be edited, you may have inadvertently resized the chart's Wall inside the shape containing it (and generally used to also contain a legend and titles. Chart objects are really complex. Images of the kind you attached are next to useless in such cases. The relevant one didn't even show the complete shape. Therefore I can't know if there were additional elements. Please don't complain about LOTs of expended time without also caring for the time of contributors trying to help you.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
piazink

Re: [Solved-Workaround] Second chart appears as thumbmail

Post by piazink »

I have the same problem. The chart appears as a thumbnail. The expected size is still defined by the green dots that usually appear when you need to edit or reposition the chart. If I drag the thumbnail into the area inside the green dots, it does enlarge for as long as you hold the button down, but returns to the thumbnail size when you let it up. I have never had this problem before. This was a new chart...not one I was imbedding in another file.
Open Office 3.1 on Windows 7