Emoticons display wrong after update to 4.1.10

Discuss the spreadsheet application
windowshater

Emoticons display wrong after update to 4.1.10

Post by windowshater »

OO Update 4.1.10 errors

Hello all,
After the OO Update 4.1.10 that I feared doing for breaking things, indeed it did. One of them is:
Emojis used earlier, now opening the same document (an ods but likely unspecific to calc), OO no longer displays them correctly. Yesterday, before the update, of course it still did.

I DID already change encoding here: Tools - Options... - Load/Save - HTML Compatibility
as upon update OO unfortunately does not import all prior settings - which would be smart.

That change did not help. Nowhere else I find a way to set Encoding more globally in OO.

THIS thread here unfortunately ended with specific html suggestions that do not actually answer the OP's topic: "how to set UTF8 encoding"

Anyone knows how to rectify (or even prevent) these OO Update issues?
 Edit: Split from how to set UTF8 encoding which is an old unrelated problem 
Ubuntu / Win10 /Virtualbox
windowshater

Re: how to set UTF8 encoding

Post by windowshater »

If you wonder "what other update issues?", as always really, OO neither imported the prior Java ability, nor does it "see" any installed Java when I select the possible folder locations.

I am aware OO Java has been an issue since "forever" but actually I updated today in the hope the update would now rectify it, lol.
RoryOF

Re: Emoticons display wrong after update to 4.1.10

Post by RoryOF »

Running OpenOffice under Windows one must install for Windows and then select (in OO) a 32 bit Java; which will run alongside a normal Windows 64 bit Java.

How this will work in a virtualbox under linux I cannot say, as I keep one old Windows machine separate from my linux machines for the very few Windows applications I rarely need.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
windowshater

Post by windowshater »

Thanks Rory, as always :) You super star.
Well, I HAVE installed the Win32 version (there's no 64bit version yet), and I HAVE Java 32 installed as well.

The Java issue is not my concern now (as it hasn't been working for 6 months or more), but I can't see where else to change encoding to utf8 to keep emojis visible like they were visible before OO updated today. The only location I could change is above (can't see it now in edit mode).

Anyone knows how to: Emoticons display wrong after update to 4.1.10 ?

(Oh THANKS AGAIN RORY, I just realize you actually forked the prior thread to make this a new issue. I guess to highlight it's update-related?)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

As far as I know, all ODF documents support UTF8. If certain characters are not displayed properly, it is a matter of the availlable system fonts.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
windowshater

Post by windowshater »

Villeroy wrote:it is a matter of the availlable system fonts.
Not so easy unfortunately. The installed fonts haven't changed at all, OO's update today - gladly - didn't make such changes. :bravo:
- There must be at least one more place where Encoding can be set, likely globally for all of OO.
- Unfortunate is that OO updates do not import ALL settings from the prior install, nor does it auto-install and associate java for where it needs it.

But these points I remember were issues already when I first moved to OO. Regardless, it's an amazingly powerful "office software" for people to use privately/personally.
(well, some probably even in their biz, so good it is)