[Solved] Why has this text disappeared?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
imadumby

[Solved] Why has this text disappeared?

Post by imadumby »

I'm coming down the home stretch of completing my long time spreadsheet project when this happens:

I'm in a section of the sheet and I scroll back into another part and guess what? Some of the numbers/text have dissappeared. I look and the formulas are still there, just not the text that the formulas produce.

I can type and get numbers into the cells but when I do that and enter it then the formulas are gone. I would say maybe 20-25% of the test is gone. I've tried changing the text color but that doesn't help. I've tried to go to a blank cell and type in a cell I know should contain a certain number like, for example, A1 should have a 1 in it, so in cell B1 I type =A1 and I get a blank cell instead of a 1. Then to make it even crazier, I type a 2 in cell A1 and then you can see the 2 when it's entered, but the amount in cell B1 is still an empty cell! But then if you type, for example, =C1 into B1, and there is a visible numbers in it, the number will show up in B1.

All the formatting looks like it has stayed the same.

Is there some fairly simple way to bring the numbers back? Is this common? I've worked quite a bit with spreadsheets but never seen anything like this before. Anyone know whats going on here? I was SOOOO CLOSE to finishing this thing!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Open Office 4.1.7, Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Why has this text dissappeared?

Post by robleyd »

Maybe you accidentally set the cell format to text. Maybe you inadvertently toggled Display -> formulas in Tools | Options | OpenOffice Calc | View.

Without a sample spreadsheet file (not image) showing the problem, we are guessing.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
imadumby

Post by imadumby »

robleyd wrote:Maybe you accidentally set the cell format to text. Maybe you inadvertently toggled Display -> formulas in Tools | Options | OpenOffice Calc | View.
Thanks for the reply but didn't do that.

Im working on cutting and pasting (with paste special) into a new file with a different name, and it looks like it's coming back together. Well keep you posted. But if anyone has any other suggestions, let me know!
imadumby

Post by imadumby »

I hope there is a faster, easier and just plain "more better" way to do this, but here's what I did.

Opened a spreadsheet with a new name, then copied the sheet from the old spreadsheet and "paste specialed" it to a sheet in the new file.
That didn't work, the format was all messed up.

So I then "paste specialed" just the format and that did work.
Then I did the same with the formulas.
Then with the numbers.
Then with the text.

That worked somewhat, unfortunately their were a number of graphics drawn on the sheet and they were all jacked up, so
that took a lot of editing to get back together.

But it looks pretty much back to normal.

Once again if theres a better way to do this let the group know!
robleyd

Re: [SOLVED] Why has this text disappeared?

Post by robleyd »

As you haven't provided a sample file showing the problem, we can't give you a solution when we don't know what caused the problem.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
DiGro

Re: [SOLVED] Why has this text disappeared?

Post by DiGro »

Try this:

Right-click on the tab of the sheet you want to copy

Choose Copy/Move sheet
New dialog opens.
Under To document, choose --New document--

Don't forget to select [ ] Copy if you want to copy, otherwise the whole sheet will be transferred.

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
imadumby

Re: [Solved] Why has this text disappeared?

Post by imadumby »

Thanks! Thats the real solution I was looking for!

It didnt get it down perfectly since my spreadsheet does rely on some negative numbers, but after fixing that looks like it should be ok!

Now I think this is REALLY solved! :bravo: