[Solved] Paste a list above full cells

Discuss the spreadsheet application
stebobibo

[Solved] Paste a list above full cells

Post by stebobibo »

So I have a list of a bunch of lines of text, 20 or so lines long, each line only being a couple words. This list in in a text doc. I want to paste this into a spreadsheet document that already has data in the column I'm going to paste in. I want it so that it will paste what I want at the top, pushing down what's already there to make room. Instead, what it does is it overwrites whatever is already in the cells that my pasted list occupy. Thanks for the help!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.5
MrProgrammer

Re: How to paste a list above full cells?

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
stebobibo wrote:I want it so that it will paste what I want at the top, pushing down what's already there to make room.
Edit → Paste Special → Shift cells → Down → OK

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
stebobibo

Post by stebobibo »

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't work. When I try paste special it only gives me these options: open office text document, formatted text, html, unformatted text, ddd link.
Open Office 4.1.5
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It works with clipboard content from spreadsheet cells. Paste into arbitrary blank sheet cells. Then cut from there and paste-special into your list.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
stebobibo

Re: [Solved] Paste a list above full cells

Post by stebobibo »

Thanks, that works!
Open Office 4.1.5