[Solved] Control selection of random data

Discuss the spreadsheet application
BetaRayBill

[Solved] Control selection of random data

Post by BetaRayBill »

Edit: Split from [Solved] Select random data from a list. You have a new question so you need a new topic. 
One little issue: The formula worked fine, however the list refreshes itself whenever I make any change within the document (like column width). I understood that it would refresh whenever I opened the document, but not when making changes in it while it was open. It's actually an interesting way to refresh the list when needed, but I do wonder if there is a way to make it not do that if I wanted.

Thanks.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.2
MAC OSX Sierra
MrProgrammer

Re: Control selection of random data

Post by MrProgrammer »

BetaRayBill wrote:… the list refreshes itself whenever I make any change within the document (like column width). I understood that it would refresh whenever I opened the document, but not when making changes in it while it was open.
No, lots of changes to the sheet can cause a recalculation.

OpenOffice Help wrote:[RAND] produces a new random number each time Calc recalculates.
BetaRayBill wrote:I do wonder if there is a way to make it not do that if I wanted.
That is explained in OpenOffice Help → Index → RAND, which says:
OpenOffice Help wrote:To generate random numbers which never recalculate, copy cells each containing =RAND(), and use Edit - Paste Special (with Paste All and Formulas not marked and Numbers marked).

To obtain a new selection of random values, put the =RAND() function back in those cells. You can record macros for those actions.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
BetaRayBill

Re: [Solved] Control selection of random data

Post by BetaRayBill »

Thank you for that. So the random numbers cells no longer randomized are are merely cells with numbers in them. And if I want to go back to randomizing, I have to change them back to =RAND() (using a Macro I have to create - which from that document doesn't look that hard to do). I'm still a little confused why the cells with the ranking function don't change when reloading with this new suggestion. Even though the random numbers no longer change, wouldn't ranking them still be different every time? Not sure how they are connected in that way. One randomizes, another ranks. Why does ranking care if the numbers change every time? And is there a way to randomize the ranking?

Anyway, a guess a simpler way is to simply make the Randomizer a separate document from the playing card so typing things doesn't affect it, and I can simply reload the randomizer document to get a different slate of categories.

Thanks for your assistance.
Open Office 4.1.2
MAC OSX Sierra