[Solved] Create running total in separate column

Discuss the spreadsheet application
dkz1964

[Solved] Create running total in separate column

Post by dkz1964 »

Sorry if this is has been asked before, but I've checked a bunch of posts and I can't find a solution to my issue. I am trying to put the sum of one column into a separate column. For example I want the sum of E1 and E2 in G2, the Sum of E1 to E3 in G3, the sum of E1 to E4 in G4, the sum of E1 to E5 in G5 and so on. I don't want to individually enter the new formula in every row. Everything I've tried so far adjusts the formula to the new row, but also adjusts the starting cell number as well.

I would appreciate any help.
Thank you
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on windows 10
RusselB

Re: Column sums

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
Use an absolute cell reference for the cell that you don't want to change.
An absolute cell reference has a $ in front of the column letter and/or row number of the cell address that you want to be static.
The $ makes that part of the cell address static, so it won't change when you copy/paste your formula. NOTE: Moving your formula will change the address even when static.
See [Tutorial] Absolute, relative and mixed references
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Specifically, use the formula

Code: Select all

=SUM($E$1:E2)
in G2. When you copy that into G3, the reference to E1 will not change but the E2 will change, giving you

Code: Select all

=SUM($E$1:E3)
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

dkz1964 wrote:I want the sum of E1 and E2 in G2, the Sum of E1 to E3 in G3, the sum of E1 to E4 in G4, the sum of E1 to E5 in G5 and so on. I don't want to individually enter the new formula in every row.
[Tutorial] How do I specify the formula for a column?
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
dkz1964

Re: Create running total in separate column

Post by dkz1964 »

Thanks, That worked. :)
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on windows 10