[Solved] Recover data after clearing it with empty sheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
djmccoy1@comcast.net

[Solved] Recover data after clearing it with empty sheet

Post by djmccoy1@comcast.net »

solved :I copy/move an empty spreadsheet to a spreadsheet with data. Is it possible to get that data back? The data was originally saved.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]; add green tick
Open Office 4 Windows 10 home
FJCC

Re: spreadsheets

Post by FJCC »

What exactly did you do? That is, what menus or icons did you use?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RusselB

Re: spreadsheets

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
If the data had been previously saved, as you have stated, unless you resaved under the same name after the copy/move, then you can just open the file that the data was originally saved in.
I suggest closing the current spreadsheet (aka Calc), and, if prompted to save the file, do NOT do this. If you do you could lose the file that has the originally saved data.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
djmccoy1@comcast.net

Re: Recover data after clearing it with empty sheet

Post by djmccoy1@comcast.net »

I followed RusselB's direction to just open the file. I did. The data was in the file. ( When I last exited the file was empty ) Now it is back. I noticed that the save icon was not dark . It is gray. When I exited I was not asked to save or discard. Am I still in danger of losing the dats?
Open Office 4 Windows 10 home
FJCC

Re: Recover data after clearing it with empty sheet

Post by FJCC »

If you opened the file and the data were there, then you should be fine.
You should always back up important files. Storage does get corrupted sometimes.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.