Macro Security Resetting Itself

Discuss the spreadsheet application
bartjeman

Macro Security Resetting Itself

Post by bartjeman »

I have a user in the office who is having weird issues with oo
She uses several calc sheets throughout the day, all with macros
The macro security is set to low, but several times a day she gets the macro security error popup, and she has to fix the settings
Somehow oo is reverting the macro security setting by itself

I installed latest version of oo, and deleted the user profile, but the nonsense continues

Thanks for any assistance :-)
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Macro Security Resetting Itself

Post by Villeroy »

Well, it is a Windows PC, right? If someone wants her to execute arbitrary scripts since she is running your scripts all the time anyway, then this would be one possible way. I guess it is malware.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
bartjeman

Post by bartjeman »

Thanks Villeroy
I did run a couple of freeware tools like cccleaner and malwarebytes, also ran ThinkCentre diagnostics utility
I thought she might have downloaded something bad, it's just hard to believe that it would affect oo settings
But you are right, it IS windows :)
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is anyone else in the office using those files? Do they have the same problem?

Also, enquire does she get prompted for name and initials from time to time? If so, she is closing OpenOffice or computer too quickly, and a new OpenOffice User Profile is being generated, which will reset the Macros settings.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Is that Windows PC member of a domain? It is crucial that you shut down the computer properly. I remember one of our machines hanging on a multi-outlet power strip with a switch. Every eveining after shutting down the computer we switched off the power strip.
One day we upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 and W10 seemed to shut down super fast. In fact it turns out the screen very fast and needs a lot more time to transmit its user data to the server, do the clean up and shut down all devices. It took some weeks until we noticed that we have killed that machine too early. I'm not familiar with Windows, however I can imagine that under conditions like this you may get an old user profile played back from the server.

It is also a bad idea to plug printers to such power strips and make them powerless every evening. Some printers start a self test and cleaning program every time when they go from completely powerless to full operation mode. This is very expensive in respect to ink, nerves and the overall life time of the device.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice