[Solved] Return max consecutive events in a column?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Veda

[Solved] Return max consecutive events in a column?

Post by Veda »

Hello, my question is how to write (if possible) a formula/function to return the max times for an unbroken chain of events in a column. For example finding the longest run of consecutive "0"s or "1"s.

Please see the attached snapshot example. To clarify, the answers would be "7" for the max "0"s and "5" for the max "1"s.

Thank you

PS: I'm not that good at spreadsheets so hopefully a straight formula will work please, no tables or other complicated (for me) methods. Maybe it's not possible with a simple formula but worth an ask :)
Attachments
How to find min max consecutive events in column.jpg
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu May 20, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Win 10, open office 4.1.5
FJCC

Re: A formula to return max consecutive events in a column?

Post by FJCC »

The attached file shows one way to do this with a couple of helper columns. The formulas in columns B and C rely on B1 and C1 containing a zero or being blank.
Attachments
Runs.ods
(10.37 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Veda

Re: [SOLVED] Return max consecutive events in a column?

Post by Veda »

FJCC wrote:The attached file shows one way to do this with a couple of helper columns. The formulas in columns B and C rely on B1 and C1 containing a zero or being blank.
Ah, I see what you've done, that's clever. I'm quite used to using helper columns as my spreadsheet skill is quit low. but I didn't see that solution.

Thank you very much, most grateful. I've marked this as solved. :)
RusselB

Re: [Solved] Return max consecutive events in a column?

Post by RusselB »

No matter your spreadsheet skill level, helper columns are, almost, essential.
If you have helper columns to break down a complex formula into simpler steps, it's easier to figure what, if anything, went wrong.
Once you have the formula in simple steps, then you can combine those steps to make, eventually, a single formula.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Veda

Re: [Solved] Return max consecutive events in a column?

Post by Veda »

RusselB wrote:No matter your spreadsheet skill level, helper columns are, almost, essential.
If you have helper columns to break down a complex formula into simpler steps, it's easier to figure what, if anything, went wrong.
Once you have the formula in simple steps, then you can combine those steps to make, eventually, a single formula.
Yes I agree and using helper columns is how I make many of my formulas to achieve an end result. Still, it's also true that there are much more sophisticated and time saving ways of querying data, such as a data base or even in a spread sheet as you definitely know about, I Just don't know how to do it. Either way I'm happy that a simple solution was given that is within my capabilities so I can move forward.

PS: My business partner is a programmer and he's offered many times to put all my work on a data base, but I keep refusing because I want to think I can do something myself that works. Probably at some point I will have to let him do it because there are things I just don't understand that would make the results so much better, like word queries in strings of text. I was shown the code how to do that but my eyes just glazed over, lol.