[Solved] How to add figures

Discuss the spreadsheet application
elishasrequest

[Solved] How to add figures

Post by elishasrequest »

So I made a spread sheet with a column of numbers on the far right. I have no idea how to have all those numbers add up to a total that I can enter at the bottom. I realize I may even be using the wrong terminology... sorry! How do I add up the column of numbers.
Last edited by robleyd on Wed May 12, 2021 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]; add green tick
Mac 10.13, Open Office 4.1.10
FJCC

Re: Complete Noob! How to add figures

Post by FJCC »

The easiest way is to click on the cell just below the last number and then click on the Sum icon in the tool bar that is just above the column headers. The Sum icon is an upper case Greek sigma, Σ, and it is probably just above the B column header. After clicking that press the Enter key. The cell will now contain a formula that is something like

Code: Select all

=SUM(M2:M20)
if the numbers are in column M in rows 2 through 20.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
elishasrequest

Post by elishasrequest »

Thanks for your quick reply! I have searched the entire screen and cannot find the "sigma" icon... I took a screen shot, but I don't know if I can post it here.
elishasrequest

Post by elishasrequest »

OK... found "SUM" in "functions"... I found the instructions how to add in the range numbers... problem solved. Thank you.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It is part of the Formula bar as shown in the attached image. It may be that you need to turn on display of the Formula bar using View | Formula Bar.
Click image to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
[Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the link here. Crop images as needed and reduce the colour depth if the image is too big.

As a newcomer to Calc, you may find [Tutorial] Ten concepts that very Calc user should know a useful resource.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers