[Dropped] Insert>"Entire Row" does NOT shift down data

Discuss the spreadsheet application
rspu

[Dropped] Insert>"Entire Row" does NOT shift down data

Post by rspu »

V3.4: Data in cells below Insert>"Entire Row" do NOT shift down.
Any time I insert entire row, The contents of the original rows are NOT MOVED DOWNWARD, despite the help that claims they are:
"Entire row
Inserts an entire row. The position of the row is determined by the selection on the sheet. The number of rows inserted depends on how many rows are selected. The contents of the original rows are moved downward."

Also, the Totals summation calcs do not automatically adjust their cell boundaries to reflect their expanded field.

I'm on an old Windows 7 machine, but that shouldn't matter, I think.
OpenOffice.org 3.4.0
Windows 7
MrProgrammer

Re: Insert>"Entire Row" does NOT shift down data below inser

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
rspu wrote:The contents of the original rows are NOT MOVED DOWNWARD …
You state what does not happen. That information is of little value. Instead, you should explain what does happen and your expectation of what will happen. We sometimes find that Calc's behavior is correct but expectations are incorrect.
rspu wrote:V3.4: Data in cells below Insert>"Entire Row" do NOT shift down.
Where do you find Insert>"Entire Row"? I cannot find that menu or toolbar icon on my OpenOffice Calc program.
rspu wrote:Any time I insert entire row, The contents of the original rows are NOT MOVED DOWNWARD, despite the help that claims they are:
If the goal is to insert a row, I use menu Insert → Rows. If I use menu Insert → Cells → Entire row → OK, that also inserts a row, but it is more complicated. Either of those procedures moves the data in the insertion area down when I use them. When I insert rows, the new rows are inserted above the highlighted row. Cells in the new rows are formatted like the corresponding cells in the row before the insertion.

That is how row insertion should work in Calc. If you experience different behavior, attach a document demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). Specify which cell or cell range is selected and what specific action you take to insert a row. There are several methods, and we need to know which one you are using. If your attachment has multiple sheets, specify which sheet you are using. Tell us what happens to the data below the insertion on your system. Also tell us your goal since we may know another way to achieve it.

Inserting rows is exactly equivalent to moving rows down. This tutorial explains how dependent formulas are changed when rows are inserted, with the Expand References option set and also with it not set.
[Tutorial] Formula Adjustments during Copy and Move

Hint: It is a waste of your time to post duplicate topics for the same problem. We just delete the duplicates.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
rspu wrote:Also, the Totals summation calcs do not automatically adjust their cell boundaries to reflect their expanded field.
Open two topics if you have two problems. Attach a document demonstrating the situation with your summation calculation. Explain your goal. My guess is that the "Formula adjustments" tutorial explains the situation and may suggest how you can get Calc to work the way you want.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
rspu

Post by rspu »

I have no documentation to submit, but after I do the menu Insert->Row, it seems to work correctly, but later i find somewhere below that insert, there are cells that are definitely one cell (date) above where they are supposed to be, and I am now manually selecting every cell below and moving the whole block down one.
One other clue is that the few Yearly Total Sums are not moved either, nor are their sum calculations span increased, and I would expect that the Sum Total of the subset that is Totaled would have the final address for the sum increased by one, and each Total (for the subsequent Year - I'm really doing a very simple spreadsheet for the last 3 years) beneath that would have the start and end Cell addresses increased by one.
I would be very surprised if that was not the intended outcome in such cases, but I can understand it is complicated programming.
Anyway, I'm going to upgrade to the latest build and see if that helps...
I'll update my observations after that,
Thanks to all who gave consideration of this, I'm fairly competent at using this spreadsheet, and this has never been an issue before.
OpenOffice.org 3.4.0
Windows 7
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The calculations are subject to the formulas expanding/decreasing per the insertion/deletion of rows and/or columns, as referenced in the first tutorial mentioned by MrProgrammer
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
rspu

Post by rspu »

Yes, I thought it should, but it doesn't.
If my upgrade clears up the problem, I will clear this thread with "Solved"; but at present, it is not.
OpenOffice.org 3.4.0
Windows 7