[Solved] ODS file opened as Writer/Word Processor

Discuss the spreadsheet application
san_antonio_user

[Solved] ODS file opened as Writer/Word Processor

Post by san_antonio_user »

I have a spread sheet file that I had working on Windows 7. I have copied it onto a thumb drive and am trying to open it with Open Office on my Mac. It opens as a Writer file with nothing but 'X' in the text.

What are the steps I need to do convert?
Last edited by san_antonio_user on Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice: 4.1.9
macOS Big Sur 11.2.3
Hagar Delest

Re: ODS file opened as Writer/Word Processor

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There is no conversion needed. It means that the file has been corrupted somewhere. You should check that the file is OK on the source computer, then copy it again on your thumb drive and try again on your Mac.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

And be certain to observe the USB removal protocols appropriate to your operating system. Premature removal of a USB key can cause problems such as you report, but that is not the only cause of these problems.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
san_antonio_user

Post by san_antonio_user »

I copied the file from the PC to the USB drive. I was able to open the file from the USB drive on the PC. I could never open the file on the Mac. I did this multiple times, so I figured maybe there was a conversion that had to happen. So, I tried another USB and was able to open the copied file to the USB on the PC as well as on the Mac.

Being that I was able to open it on the PC every time, I didn't suspect it was the USB. Thank y'all for your help. Excuse the lack of thoroughness on my part.
OpenOffice: 4.1.9
macOS Big Sur 11.2.3
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Why is my Writer file full of #####? for an explanation of files full of null characters which Writer displays as ######.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.