Merge cells in a row, for many rows

Discuss the spreadsheet application
TrishaSeliya

Merge cells in a row, for many rows

Post by TrishaSeliya »

I have 40+ rows spanning 3 columns I want to merge, however, I only want to merge horizontally not vertically. For instance, I want to merge I4, J4, and K4 together, and do the same thing on down the columns, but not making 1 massive cell. I only have a very basic understanding of spreadsheet, so please explain things in basic terms.
FJCC

Re: Merging multiple cells

Post by FJCC »

Merged cells should be used sparingly. They can make your spreadsheet hard to use. I suggest you explain why you want to do this and maybe someone can suggest a better solution.

To merge columns I, J and K on a row by row basis, first merge the first row you want to affect, say cells I4, J4 and K4. Copy that cell after it is merged by clicking on it and selecting the menu Edit -> Copy. Select cells in column I for all of the rows where you want to have merged columns. You can do that by clicking and dragging or with any other method that works for you. Paste the copied cell into the selected range with Edit -> Paste.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.