Where is my autosave backup

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Where is my autosave backup

Post by Zizi64 »

Also, where do i set up the keyboard shortcut?
You can assign the subroutine TimeStampBackup to a free hotkey. You can set the scope to the LibreOffice or to the actual Application only.

From the Menu:
Tools - Customize - Keyboard - Choose a free Key-combination - Choose the scope by usage the radiobuttons - Category - MyMacros - timeStampBackup (Library) - timeStampBackup (Module) - timeStampBackup (Subroutine) - OK
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

It appears to be working without doing anything except clicking add (it added it without finding the downloaded file in the directory that pops up). Unfortunately it apparently was added twice so there are two identical backups each time. How can I get rid of one of them?
I never experienced this on Windows 7/10.
You can delete the unwanted copies with a simple file manager software. And the newest version (1.2.0) of the timeStampBackup has a manager function. It is available from the Menu.

Are you really using these softwares:
IOpen Office 4.1.0 on Windows Vista
???
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
waynec444

Post by waynec444 »

How do I get rid of the second instance of the program?

Also, I tried to change the directory for the backups and followed the procedure but it is still writing them to the appdata area.
Open Office 4.1.10 on Windows Vista
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Also, I tried to change the directory for the backups and followed the procedure but it is still writing them to the appdata area.
Restart (fully) the Open/LibreOffice after adjusting the paths in the Settings feature.
Where you redirected the Backups to?
Can you upload a screenshot about the LO Path Settings?
Which version of the timeStampBackup had you installed?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I just tried the tSB1.2.0 version in my AOO 4.1.7 portable version: only one Backup file has been created by one clicking on the toolbar icon. Of course an another one will be created at an another clicking... This is the advantage of my extension: an existing backup file never will be overwrited (with a damaged version).
waynec444

Post by waynec444 »

I guess I don't know where to set the backups to my own directory. How do I actually do that?

I click the TimeStampBackup once and it creates 2 identical copies each time. Note that IF I do it twice (which I have tested) it won't do it a second time if nothing has changed.

I have the latest version, just downloaded yesterday. I remember it has a 2 in it.

Did restart OO itself.

Also need to know where to set a keyboard shortcut for this feature.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I have the latest version
The latest version on the LO extension site is the 1.1.8.:
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/e ... amp-backup

The latest version on the Flow-Cont site is the 1.2.0.:
http://flowcont.hu/LO_oxt_store/

Also need to know where to set a keyboard shortcut for this feature.
I described it above. The Extension was written in StarBasic. You can assign the main subroutine to a hotkey in same way - as you can assign any other macros routines to a hotkey. (And you can modify the code as you want it.)

What version of the AOO/LO are you using really? (What operating system version on?) Your signature shows in this forum: "IOpen Office 4.1.0 on Windows vista". What is the IOO? Please fix/update your signature.
waynec444

Post by waynec444 »

I did not set the signature. OO did it by itself.

Am using Windows Vista, OO 4.1.9
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I did not set the signature. OO did it by itself.
...but you can edit it in the
User Control Panel - Profile (TAB) - Edit Signature (subTAB)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I guess I don't know where to set the backups to my own directory. How do I actually do that?
Tools - OpenOffice - Paths - Select the Backups item - Click on the Edit button - Navigate to the desired drive and folder - OK

((Please read all of my answers above and below))
Last edited by Zizi64 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I click the TimeStampBackup once and it creates 2 identical copies each time.
I just installed the winpenpack version of the portable AOO 4.1.9. Only one backup copy created for every clicking on the toolbar icon.

Of course when there is not any change in the document, the copies will be identical (with same content and with same creating date - but with different timestamped file name) because the latest version of the tSB extension uses the Copy command instead of the StoreAs..., StoreTo... function:

Code: Select all

FileCopy oDoc.URL, sBackupURL
The advantage of this method is: The passworded documents will be duplicated as passworded backups - without knowing the password.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It may be worth emphasising here that timestamped backup Does Not replace the normal Save - Ctrl+S. What it does is copies the current saved version on your disk drive and adds a time stamp to the file name.

So if you save your file, then continue to edit it for some hours without further Save-ing, using timestamped backup a number of times subsequently will continue to make copies of the several hours old saved file, not the edited version on screen.

Best practice in my opinion, and what I do, is to Save frequently and use timestamped backup immediately after the Save.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
waynec444

Post by waynec444 »

The regular save does write to the disk.

Now I understand that the TimeStampedBackup does NOT write the current data but only saves the current regular backup to disk, not what has been added or changed since the regular backup. This is good to know as I really don't need the time stamped backup at all. I thought it included the latest changes.

Three times a day I save it in the regular way and then upload the file to the web. Plus now regularly save it the normal way.