[Solved] Calc file not opening: "not responding"

Discuss the spreadsheet application
sjgrt

[Solved] Calc file not opening: "not responding"

Post by sjgrt »

I have OpenOffice 4.1.9 on a Windows 8.1 desktop PC.

I use a Calc file every day. 3 days ago I lost power so when I started the file it went into Recovery mode. Unlike other times it was very slow. It finally asked if I wanted to update links and I selected no. It never did load. When I checked it in Task Manager it was "not responding" for a long period of time so I ended the task. Thinking that it got corrupted somehow, I tried to start the same file from my backup on a different HD. Same result. Deleted, downloaded and installed the new version of OO. Same problem.

I found when I opened a 2k ods file it started, although it wanted me to "recover it" (old file not used for some time). My everyday file is 298k so I tried opening a version of it from last year that was 190k. It started the same way but after leaving the room for 15 minutes, it had opened. I did a cold boot on the PC but no difference. After searching this forum, I tried to restore the file in the backup directory but it had updated already so it does the same thing.

So I'm at a loss why all of a sudden larger files will not open and I can't use any of my backups on the other HD. I appreciate your help.
Last edited by sjgrt on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice version 4.1.9 installed on Windows 8.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Calc file not opening: "not responding"

Post by Zizi64 »

For the future:
Always create more than one backup copy of your important documents onto different media: Cloud, CD, eMail, Pendrive, etc...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
sjgrt

Re: Calc file not opening: "not responding"

Post by sjgrt »

Thanks for the tip, Tibor.

Almost miraculously, the file opened this morning after loading for some time. I thought I'd split the sheets between 2 files. 3 sheets I use every day and the others once a month. While copying the monthly sheets a dialog box came up and asked if I wanted to update links. (Didn't happen while copying the others.) Then I checked Edit, Links... and there were about 15 links to a defunct website. I deleted them all and now everything loads and saves properly. A happy ending after all. :)
OpenOffice version 4.1.9 installed on Windows 8.1