[Solved] What Can I Hide?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Bloodknot

[Solved] What Can I Hide?

Post by Bloodknot »

I have a spreadsheet that will be used by the public on their own PCs. Ideally I would only like them to see the Print Area i.e. no menus, scroll bars, status bars etc.

I don't want to use an auto open macro to avoid the dialogue box that this will generate giving rise to concern on the user's part. So what can I hide and how do I go about it.

I can see how to show or not the row/column headers, side bar, etc under the View menu . Ditto with the scroll bars and sheet tabs on the Open Office Preferences menu. But I'm not sure if the sheet then carries these settings with it when used on another PC or whether those adjustments are just for the system that is on my PC.

Any help will be much appreciated.

B
Last edited by Bloodknot on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Windows 7 & iMac running High Sierra
RusselB

Re: What Can I Hide?

Post by RusselB »

The only items that you can hide on a spreadsheet by spreadsheet basis are the rows and columns.
All of the rest of the items that you mentioned that you would like to hide from the end user are stored in the user profile, which is stored on each machine.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If most things are hidden (if that be possible), how does the user customise the spreadsheet?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If you just want them to see what would be printed, then you could export the file to a PDF. It sounds like that would be the closest to what you are asking for that is reasonable to do.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

RusselB wrote:If you just want them to see what would be printed, then you could export the file to a PDF. It sounds like that would be the closest to what you are asking for that is reasonable to do.
Or even to a tiff, a png or other graphics format.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bloodknot

Post by Bloodknot »

Many thanks all.

As I suspected most of it is system based and very little is sheet based.

Not to worry and just to answer the later questions about user interaction with the sheet. Yes they are able to do so but input is limited to a set number of parameters with them choosing from a list box and then tweaking nine other variables by spinners plus 5 cells where they can actually input numbers.

FYI they are calculating the compression ratio and effects of gearing ratios and tyre selection for motorcycles.

Keep safe.

B
OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Windows 7 & iMac running High Sierra