[Solved] Sum does not include values from new rows

Discuss the spreadsheet application
dagmyh

[Solved] Sum does not include values from new rows

Post by dagmyh »

I use OpenOffice spreadsheet for my accounts. It has worked OK up to september. But now putting in new numbers in oktober, the sum will not add it up. The add-up formula seems OK, but nothing can be added on any accounts after september. September is line 70 but the sums are at line 85 and the formula goes to 84. =summer(C4:C84) Above line 70 (september) everything is OK.
Regards Dag Norway
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice.org 3.2.0.
OSX el Capitan 10.11.6
FJCC

Re: OpenOffice spreadsheet

Post by FJCC »

Check the formatting of the cells starting at row 70. Are they formatted as text? You can see the formatting with the menu Format -> Cells on the Numbers tab.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Or try /View /Value highlighting, which will show text as black, numbers as blue, results of formulae as green.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dagmyh

Post by dagmyh »

To FJCC and RoryOF
Thank you very much. That was the problem but why has it happened now suddenly? I seem to be able to change the format to number, they were letters. But I have to do it separately in every cell. Is there a smarter way?
OpenOffice.org 3.2.0.
OSX el Capitan 10.11.6
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
dagmyh wrote: But I have to do it separately in every cell. Is there a smarter way?
If an entire column should be numeric, Perform three steps:
• Select the entire column., by clicking the column letter at the top.
• Set the cells' number format to your liking, preferably using a style. You can change them all at once.
• Use [Tutorial] Text to Columns to convert the column to numbers.

The second step ensures that future values are interpreted as numbers. The third step converts existing values to numbers.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).