[Solved] Difference in date/time combos greater than 24 hour

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Calc Searcher [88]

[Solved] Difference in date/time combos greater than 24 hour

Post by Calc Searcher [88] »

I'm assuming this topic has to have been covered previously (and am currently scrolling through search results, but don't seem to have found it); so I apologies, and don't mind being scolded, and/or simply pointed to a link; but I have looked and am continuing to try and find previous references.

I'm trying find the amount of time between date/time combos in a week. ie:
Tuesday 01/06/20 3:48PM
Thurs 01/08/20 8:30AM
Friday 01/09/20 5:31 AM
Saturday 01/10/20 8:12 PM

And would like the answer either as 2.45 days or 58.8 hours. I figured I would find a quick reference/example in the help and see uses for just days and just hours but none that combine the 2 and/or can handle lengths greater than 24 hours. So I hopped on here and haven't found an example yet either. I'm going through again in case I missed, so thank you to anyone that knows. :)
Last edited by Calc Searcher [88] on Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Difference between date/time combos greater than 24 hour

Post by FJCC »

To get the answer in days, it is enough to subtract the two cells and format the answer as a number with the desired number of decimal places using the menu Format -> Cells -> Numbers.

It is possible that your dates are being interpreted as text instead of numeric dates. You can check that by selecting the menu item View -> Value Highlighting. If the dates then appear in blue, they are numeric and the calculation should work.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.