[Closed] Program to check rear suspension of racing car

Discuss the spreadsheet application
JamRacing

[Closed] Program to check rear suspension of racing car

Post by JamRacing »

Hello,i am new to openOffice calc forum.From South Africa. Need help to create a basic suspension program in 3D to check movement of rear suspension of my Formual Vee.Have an old Qbasic program that can do front but will not do rear.I cannot add code as i have non thats why i am here.Thanks in advance.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Closed]
OpenOffice4 on windows 8.1
keme
Volunteer

Re: Program to check rear suspension of racing car

Post by keme »

This is a "peer support" site for a family of office productivity software. You seem to be asking for help with 3D modeling in an engineering context, which is not the realm of the software we are targeting here.

You have code for QBasic. The integrated programming language in OpenOffice and related suites is StarBasic. It is not trivial to translate code from QBasic to StarBasic.

While Calc (which is a part of the office suites) can be used to create a mathemathical calculation model of 3D geometry, forces and movement, you probably need other software (some 3D CAD package, which is not part of the suites) to sufficiently assess spatial geometry and behavior of your vehicle (contact points, stress reliefs, wheel tracking under load conditions, etc.).

If you still feel that this is the right place, tell us more about what you need. What have you tried and how/why does it fail?

If calculation is all you need, you must provide the math. We can most likely show you how to put it together in a useful manner.
JamRacing

Post by JamRacing »

Thanks for reply. There are programs written in Excel but cannot do this type of suspension. I don't want sum fancy program. It is basically a triangle moving through an arch. Attached at two points where it pivots at. So as it moves in an arch the wheel may also move in an arch in the x direction. That will be because of pivot at rear of chassic. I don't need load etc just movement. So please can someone help.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

You say that the rear is different. I can imagine that there is added challenge in the rear because of the drive train, but you don't need to worry about the directional movement (steering). Geometry may be different, but the principles should be similar.

Other than those general observations, we can offer little help as long as you offer nothing of what you have got and what you have done. We (most of us, at least) are not automechanics. We might search for data and build something from guesswork which we might calculate on, but most likely that would not be a useful exercise neither for us nor for you.
JamRacing

Post by JamRacing »

I have no idea about maths so need help. This is not for gain only for my own use.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

But we don't know the detail of what you want to do. What formulae are used?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JamRacing

Post by JamRacing »

I have no idea what formula to use need advice on that too...sorry
Attachments
Rear Suspension vee.CSV
I hope u can see diagram of rear suspension
(313 Bytes) Downloaded 165 times
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

We are not suspension experts so we can only offer you advice on how to correct errors you are making in using a spreadsheet - we can tell you nothing about what formulae you should be using.

Buy a book on suspension design - Suspension Geometry and computation 1st Edition is an example - there are lots available.

When you have chosen which design method to use, create a spreadsheet to do the calculations in the book and, if you run into troubles, come back, posting the spreadsheet.

It would help if you posted the Excel file for the front suspension so we can see what you are doing - it should be a .xls or a .xlsx. The .csv file you posted contains no more information that these figures written on a sheet of paper. It has no formulae so cannot calculate anything.

Code: Select all

Layer Name   Object Name   Object Category     Object Type

Default                    curve               line
Default                    curve               line
Default                    curve               line
Default                    point               -530,380,0
Default                    point               530,380,0
Default                    point               -77.5,0,0
Default                    point               77.5,0,0
Default                    point               0,0,0 
Last edited by John_Ha on Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

JamRacing wrote:I have no idea what formula to use need advice on that too...sorry
The attached csv file contains the coordinates for 5 points in space, all in the X/Y plane (Z=0), which with some goodwill can be construed as describing two triangles.

How those triangles relate to each other, the wheels, the chassis, and the road, is a mystery to everyone except possibly yourself. Sorry!

If you want help, you need to tell us what you need help with.

Describe the car part. Measures. Pivot points.
What exactly do you need to learn about the suspension, that you don't already know?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Do you know how to use a search engine?

If so, what happened when you searched for, say, suspension design spreadsheet? I found quite a lot of potentially interesting pages.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The best device to check the rear suspension of your racing car is your ass.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
JamRacing

Post by JamRacing »

Non of those programs work on the rear suspension i have.Been through all of them. EVEN Susprog does not work.It has to be written to suite my car. It is more a project than a necessity. Can do it on the car with wheel alighment gauge and string.I have found that Excel or OpenOffice cannot do 3D. So move on but thanks to all that answered.And to the guy that said i must use my bum.......u thing thats funny.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Villeroy wrote:The best device to check the rear suspension of your racing car is your ass.
:lol:
That's the Quality check only.
Better have a code to optimize the design first.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10