[Solved] Create bank statement in Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
bernieb123

[Solved] Create bank statement in Calc

Post by bernieb123 »

ok I give up. I've looked everywhere. How do you format a spreadsheet for a bank statement? I have to list each transaction and keep a detailed running balance, like Quicken, and search columns. I have used excel till now, but would like to switch over. how to mark currency or accounting entries? please help or direct me to a manual.
Bernie B
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Bernadette Buddington
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: help with spreadsheet

Post by Villeroy »

You can't describe your problem? Simply stick to Excel. Forever.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
bernieb123

Post by bernieb123 »

Thanks for nothing.
Bernadette Buddington
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

What you describe sounds more like an account register than a bank statement. If you could upload a mock-up of an excel file that might help others understand what you're trying to do.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
bernieb123

Post by bernieb123 »

I was afraid someone would ask me to do that. I cannot upload a mock file as I don't have one. it also destroyed the file I had started - "crashed"it. I don't know what to say - the entries are confidential from client's financial statements. I can give you column headers, however:
trans date | description | credit | debit | clearance date | trans type | pending/cleared | cashback | balance | purpose1 | purpose2 | Comment |
What I'd like to know is how to format the columns for money values or text, how to add values, how to set defaults, & how to filter columns, etc., etc. Is there an online guide somewhere?
Thanks,
Bernie
Bernadette Buddington
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Have you tried the Help function - F1? Open Help and search e.g. format.

If you are new to spreadsheets you may also find [Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know a useful resource.

There is documentation at https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation which you may find useful. A search using your favourite search engine for openoffice tutorials will find further sources of information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

To format a column, click the column name (the letter at the top of the column) and select Format > Column. To format the cells in a column, click the column name and select Format > Cells. That opens the Format Cells dialog which has several tabs to open pages with different types of options. Each page of the Format Cells dialog has a Help button that you can click to get help with the options on that page.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
bernieb123

Post by bernieb123 »

Thanks Bill
Bernadette Buddington
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 10
bernieb123

Post by bernieb123 »

& thanks, David
Ciao,
Bernie
Bernadette Buddington
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Help with spreadsheet

Post by RoryOF »

The OpenOffice Calc manual for version 3.3, which will cover as much as you need for your requirement, is at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/d/ ... cGuide.pdf

The OO 4 manual is not yet complete

The Quickbooks application to which you refer seems to be fundamentally a database system, with custom input and output forms/reports, which appear to you as spreadsheets. In my opinion it is quite far removed from being a simple spreadsheet application.

If you are determined to use a spreadsheet for such an application, you might use individual Sheets to summarise each day's transactions, with debits in one set of columns, credits in another set, giving a running total in a side column, and day totals at the bottom; each day total might then be automatically carried forward to a cumulative total sheet. This may require some consideration on your part.

I should stress that I am not a Calc expert.

If you are familiar withe Excel, or there is an application such as QuickBooks that does what you require, you are best advised to use such rather than try to reinvent the wheel by using an unfamiliar application.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Re: [Solved] Help with spreadsheet

Post by robleyd »

You mention that you "have used excel till now"; if you still have the excel file you were using, OpenOffice Calc should be able to open the file. Just use File | Open and navigate to where you keep the excel file.

Once you have opened the file, use File | Save As to store a new version in OpenOffice format - .ods.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers