[Solved] CSV import problem

Discuss the spreadsheet application
iso2000

[Solved] CSV import problem

Post by iso2000 »

I have a problem viewing CSV files (comma delimited). When I import them, even if I choose "comma" as a delimiter, the output is not only wrong, but unreadable. Is there anything specific to CSV files for OpenOffice?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4 for Mac
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: csv import problem

Post by Zizi64 »

Is there anything specific to CSV files for OpenOffice?
There is not. These are simple text files (textual data with a specific character as delimiter between the data values.
Maybe the character encoding is different. Have you tried to change the decoding parameter on the filter panel?

Can you upload a sample .csv file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, have you tried opening the CSV file with a plain text editor to verify that it is in fact saved in plain text?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
iso2000

Post by iso2000 »

Thanks, guys!

It was a pretty big file, however, the encoding was the problem. Why I couldn't understand was the output, which was totally unreadable.

Solved!
OpenOffice 4 for Mac
iso2000

Post by iso2000 »

RoryOF wrote:Also, have you tried opening the CSV file with a plain text editor to verify that it is in fact saved in plain text?
It is a valid csv (value,value1,value2 etc) but the encoding errors were not shown in particular cells, but as a whole document. It looked like I was opening a JPEG with Calc.
OpenOffice 4 for Mac
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Without a sample file we can only guess.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Open some csv file and when the import dialog pops up, focus the encodings list box and navigate through different encondings watching the preview. Some use 8 bit, others use 16 bit per character, some 8 bit encodings are made for Asian languages.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice