[Solved] Chart in spreadsheet add data

Discuss the spreadsheet application
legalnan

[Solved] Chart in spreadsheet add data

Post by legalnan »

I have a chart set up in a spreadsheet. I would like to add a data point. It seems the way is to use format/data range but that line is not enabled for me. Any help much appreciated
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: chart in spreadsheet add data

Post by FJCC »

If you double click on the chart and then right click on it, is one of the options Chart Data Table? If so, the chart has lost the connection to the cells containing the data and the chart data are stored as part chart itself. I don't know any way to fix that other than rebuilding the chart.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It works exactly like any other spreadsheet reference. Insert new cells before you fill in the new data.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
legalnan

Post by legalnan »

So I started a new spreadsheet and copied all of column a from the prior one. It is data points from A1 to A1036. That is the data I'd like to see in a line chart. Can somebody please provide instructions. They need to be very detailed. like "highlight column a" - "choose insert chart" etc. I'm new at this and would be most grateful for step by step directions. Thank you ever so much.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

It seems the way is to use format/data range but that line is not enabled for me.
Please upload your ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
legalnan

Re: Chart in spreadsheet add data

Post by legalnan »

I assume you wanted to see the original file with the chart to which I'd like to add data points. It is attached. Thanks so much for trying to help.
Attachments
graph without text box new.ods
(47.14 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The graph in your attached file lost the link to the data table. Maybe the file was converted from a foreign, non standardized file format, or the graph was moved onto an another sheet/ into an another file, and then back to the original position...
graph.png
graph.png (5.3 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
Follow the instruction...
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
legalnan

Post by legalnan »

If I copy and paste columns a and b to a new spreadsheet, can I then construct a new chart? If so, can you please tell me how to do that? I tried highlighting column a, insert chart, line, smooth line, lines only, next (it shows the range) finish. But nothing happened. Thanks.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

@Zizi64: You found the problem this way using a recent LibO.
I think AOO (any version) will not support this feature, does it?
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

@Zizi64: You found the problem this way using a recent LibO.
I think AOO (any version) will not support this feature, does it?
Ooops... Yes I have tried the sample file in my LO 6.1.6. version.
Just tried now in my AOO 4.1.5 portable version: there is not such (very useful) feature...

Yes, this file was an xls/xlsx document:
the name of the converted style ("Excel built-in normal") it reveals this.
xls like properties.png
You always will lost some (few or more) formatting properties and even some data, when you save the documents into foreign file formats.
legalnan

Post by legalnan »

are you saying there is no way to make a line chart in open office? Or am I simply not doing it correctly?
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I don't think you want to do a line chart for these data. A scatter plot makes a more useful x axis. In the attached file, I moved the data from column A to column C so that the y values are to the right of the x values. I then highlighted the data cells, chose the menu Insert -> Chart, picked the chart type XY Scatter and to show a line only, and then accept all of the default settings after that. The x axis scale probably needs to be adjusted by double clicking on the plot and then selecting the menu Format -> Axis -> X Axis.
Attachments
(47.66 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
legalnan

Post by legalnan »

Thank you so very much. That's perfect and now I see that I can adjust the data range as I add more points. Can I trouble you once more and then I promise to leave you alone. Can you stretch it out over many more columns, like the one I originally sent, so the variance from point to point is more obvious?
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

You can click on the graph once so that it has small green boxes on the perimeter then click and hold on a box at the middle of a side and drag it to make the plot bigger. However, redrawing the plot is very slow with this many data points, at least on my system. I suggest you plot only a subset of the points, maybe every fifth point, to get a view of the overall pattern and then make plots of every point over smaller time ranges to see the detailed variation. Plots with fewer points will be much easier to manipulate.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

are you saying there is no way to make a line chart in open office?
of course it is possible. And you can create scatter type chart - what is more relevant in this case.

I just said: you will lost some contents, when you use foreign file types: you always must fix/remake them, when you open the file again.
legalnan

Post by legalnan »

FJCC - It worked great. Took just a second to accomplish what I wanted. I also love that the dates show up on the bottom of the graph. Thanks everyone. So nice to know about this forum in case something else pops up, but right now I'm good to go!!
MrProgrammer

Re: [Solved] Chart in spreadsheet add data

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I realize this is marked solved, but you, FJCC, Zizi64, and Lupp may want to review my comments.
legalnan wrote:I would like to add a data point. It seems the way is to use format/data range but that line is not enabled for me.
Without a Data Range connection you can still use View → Chart Data Table and add/delete data with the controls.
Controls
Controls
FJCC wrote:If you double click on the chart and then right click on it, is one of the options Chart Data Table? If so, the chart has lost the connection to the cells containing the data and the chart data are stored as part chart itself. I don't know any way to fix that other than rebuilding the chart.
Lupp wrote:I think AOO (any version) will not support this feature, does it?
Zizi64 wrote:Just tried now in my AOO 4.1.5 portable version: there is not such (very useful) feature...
FJCC, Zizi64, and Lupp: OpenOffice has been able to rebuild the connection from the chart to spreadsheet cells for over ten years, since version 3.1 at least. Simply select the cells, A1:A1036 in the graph without text box new.ods attachment and drag them onto the chart. This will enable Format → Data Ranges in the chart.
legalnan wrote:are you saying there is no way to make a line chart in open office?
Of course, OpenOffice can make a line chart. You already have one in your graph without text box new.ods attachment, actually.
FJCC wrote:I don't think you want to do a line chart for these data. A scatter plot makes a more useful x axis.
Agreed.
legalnan wrote:Can you stretch it out over many more columns, like the one I originally sent, so the variance from point to point is more obvious?
Select the chart (single-click). Use Format → Graphic → Position and Size to easily change the chart's size or position without using the mouse.

You have an F in the middle of your graph without text box new.ods chart. To remove it see [Solved] chart line
F in chart
F in chart
[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
FJCC

Re: [Solved] Chart in spreadsheet add data

Post by FJCC »

Mr. Progammer - Thanks for the tip!