Determine average weight per day per person

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ReggaeRoy

Determine average weight per day per person

Post by ReggaeRoy »

Hi All
Hoping someone can get me started with a solution to the following problem, THANKS in advance.

I have a column (35 rows) with the date sometimes 1 or 2 the same day up to 9. The next column is a Name (2 sometimes 3), Next a docket#, Weight, Type, another docket #.
I am trying to get an average weight per day per person, for the sheet. To complicate things when the rows are filled I start a new sheet and carryover some info.
I am stuck on the required formula to read the dates, see if they are the same then do the rest.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
for-help-forum.ods
one sheet of the file I'm working on. Feel free to shake your head at some of my solutions.
(19.3 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject, was: Need some help with formulas
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Win10 pro
keme
Volunteer

Re: Need some help with formulas

Post by keme »

A pivot table is a common tool to make this kind of summary. Note that typos (e.g. leading trailing spaces) may disturb the results of pivot tables, as with formulas. With a pivot table this is more obvious as you will usually get double entries, where a formula will just dismiss the entries where there is a typo.

One thing you need to be aware of: a pivot table is not "live" like a formula is. When data change, you must right click to find the option in the context menu to refresh the table.

I also enabled "drilldown" so you can double click any intermediate/final result inside the pivot to get a new sheet with the source data for that result.
Attachments
summary.ods
(29.11 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
ReggaeRoy

Re: Need some help with formulas

Post by ReggaeRoy »

Thanks.
I'll bone up on pivot tables and try it out.
Bah, head exploded forgot what I was trying to find out.
:crazy:
I'll keep at it.

Thanks Again for your advice.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Win10 pro