New to using a Pivot Table

Discuss the spreadsheet application
cigicomu

New to using a Pivot Table

Post by cigicomu »

This is something I would normally do with database table joins, but just learning about Pivot Tables, and seems like a great tool to learn, and could save valuable time!

I have two spreadsheets, they are identical with customer data from two different systems.

Basically contains the columns:

ContactId
Email
Name
Address
City
State
Zip
Purchase Totals

I have them as different sheets, and one as a combined sheet if easier.

Been playing around with Pivot Tables, and seems to be able to do what I'm hoping... I think, and extra data not pulling, or getting odd results, and I am sure most of the issue is my ignorance in using these to their best ability.

Between the two sheets (or one combined one if better option)... is to remove or merge duplicates by email address, combine their purchase totals, and show rest of contact info.

I've been running a pivot table with email in 'row' and Purchase Totals in 'Data', seems to work, but rest of data is hidden.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changes subject, was: Pivot Table
https://livesex.bar/ - visit number one live sex webcam shows place
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Pivot Table

Post by Villeroy »

Splitting up by categories, months, weeks, years, whatever is always a mistake. Equally structured lists belong into one list. The software can do the grouping, filtering and sorting.
A pivot table calculates numeric values in the data fields as sums, averages, min, max etc for each combination of fields in the row fields and column fields. Row fields and column fields do the same thing. They constitute the vertical or horizontal labels for the calculated data. You might want to pull the purchase figures into the data fields and any other fields whereever you want. Count is the only function that applies to text values as well.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice