[Solved] Bulk edit contents of a column in OpenOffice Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
idahohcs@gmail.com

[Solved] Bulk edit contents of a column in OpenOffice Calc

Post by idahohcs@gmail.com »

I have a mailing list on Open Office Calc. The first column has all the emails, but there's a lot of stuff (text with punctuation) after the .com or .net that makes the emails invalid. How do I do a bulk edit to remove all that stuff? (There are 855 emails in the list and I don't want to edit every cell one by one.) The A1 cell says: Direct Email Address,"First. I would like to remove "First from every cell in the column.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.6 Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Bulk edit contents of a column in open office calc

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
idahohcs@gmail.com wrote:The A1 cell says: Direct Email Address,"First. I would like to remove "First from every cell in the column.
If the comma or the quote marks the beginning of the text to be removed, see [Tutorial] Text to Columns Q43/A43. You can also use Edit → Find&Replace with Regular Expressions to change multiple cells at once. If you need additional assistance attach a document demonstrating the situation (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself).

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).