[Solved] Anchor to cell doesn't work

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Surnis

[Solved] Anchor to cell doesn't work

Post by Surnis »

Hello all. I have a serious problem with the anchoring of pictures. I hope someone can help me.

I don't understand, it all seems so simple. You insert your picture, making sure the little anchor icon is in a cell, you make sure the anchor is "to cell", and when you add a row, the pictures are supposed to follow, and drop down along with the line they were on, right?

Except it doesn't work.

I place my items in alphabetical order, and if I need to add a line for a new item in the middle, all the rows drop down, but not the pictures. They stay where they were, and I have to move each of them individually so they get to where they are supposed to be. As my database grows, this is getting a serious annoyance. But the pictures over the new row do move, and make a mess of things.

Why is it not working? I know the anchor is not on "to page", it is clearly on "to cell". so I don't get it.

I include screen pictures showing what happens. In exemple one, I show that the picture aside Guardian Defender 2 is anchored in cell B11 and the anchor is clearly to cell.
In exemple 2, I decide to add a row on row 10.
We can see in exemple 3, you can see that the picture remained in B11, and is now in the wrong placed, aside Dark Reaper 1 instead. Also, you can see that the picture that was aside "jain Zar" in the earlier exemples did go down, while it was not supposed to. and is now aside "troops".

It's working in reverse, it seems. The upper pictures should remain still, and the lower ones drop down. How can I make it right?

Thanks a lot to everyone trying to solve this!

PS: seems I can't get the pictures of my exemples under 128k, so I can't upload them after all. I hope the problem is understandable anyway.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.4.1 on Windows 7
robleyd

Re: Anchor to cell doesn't work

Post by robleyd »

Unfortunately anchoring images doesn't work the way you want it to - see Locking inserted images in place where the same problem - or at least very similar - was discussed.

A forum search for "anchor images" restricted to the Calc forum will return some other topics that may be useful to you.

Calc isn't really the tool you want for managing images.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Surnis

Post by Surnis »

Then, whoever manages the Openoffice wiki should be fired. It clearly claims otherwise.

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... g_graphics

Anchor to cell
Anchoring a graphic to a cell ensures that the graphic always stays with the content it is originally anchored to. If a graphic is anchored to cell B10, and a new row is inserted, the graphic will then be anchored to cell B11. This is equivalent to a relative reference.
In the example shown below, the normal Otto and Tux picture is anchored To Cell B10 (XXX shows where the picture is anchored). The inverse Otto and Tux picture is anchored to the page.

Anchoring 1
If two rows are inserted above the pictures, the normal picture (anchored to the cell) will shift down two rows and the anchor will change. The inverse picture (anchored to the page) will not move. This is illustrated below. Note that the anchor symbol and the XXX have moved down to cell B12.

Too bad I can't modify this wiki myself.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

In AOO V4.1.7 it works for me as excpected concerning the anchor: On insertion of a row above the anchor cell the image moves down with the cell it is anchored to.

However there is another bug: Inserting a row (or rows) in the range intersecting with the vertical extension of the image it is delated verically (about) ba the height of the inserted rows. Respectively with columns. In short: The image behaves like one inserted into a sheet in LIbreOffice Calc and set to the there now available anchoring sub-option "To Cell (resize with cell)". In many cases this will not be what you want. In LibreOffice without the "resize with cell" attribute the image ignores resizing and insertion/deletion of intersecting rows/columns.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Surnis

Post by Surnis »

I'm not sure I understand you. You say it works well for you, but there is a bug, and so it doesn't work.

If I get you, with no "resize with cell" sub-option, the "anchor to cell' acts like an "anchor to page", and it's like "anchor to cell" doesn't even exist. So how do you make it work for you?

I'm not sure what "the range intersecting with the vertical extension of the image" means.

I had never tried inserting a column next to the pictures. I just did, and unlike adding a row, the images remain perfectly still. It's really like "anchor to page", so they end up in the new column. This is a lot less of a mess then when adding a row, where the pictures over the new row lower but the ones under don't, so it becomes a terrible jumble.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

"the range intersecting with the vertical extension of the image"
I think it is a more precise EXPRESSION:

"the range intersecting with the vertical dimension of the image"
I suppose it: Lupp meaned the rows located between the top/bottom edge of the inserted image.

"extension"/"dimension"
(The two words are more similar in Hungarian language: "kiterjesztés" / "kiterjedés")
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sun May 24, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This is one of the things that work farily well with LibreOffice Calc although spreadsheets must not be used to store pictures in data sets. Pictures on sheets are illustrations or decorative elements. A spreadsheet is not a database no matter how you look at it.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Surnis

Post by Surnis »

I would have liked to use Base, but it bugs even worse. My (what was the extension? OBT?) files keep getting corrupted and Base can't open them anymore.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Surnis wrote:I would have liked to use Base, but it bugs even worse. My (what was the extension? OBT?) files keep getting corrupted and Base can't open them anymore.
This can be overcome by using a better database engine together with storing the picture files outside the database and reference them by file name. Even the worst database tool can do better than the best spreadsheet. Masses of huge files will crash your spreadsheet as well, at least it will exhaust your computer's memory and the machine will become slow.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Surnis wrote:Then, whoever manages the Openoffice wiki should be fired. It clearly claims otherwise.

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... g_graphics
Did you notice that the page you linked to is targeted to version 3, and last updated around 10 years ago.

Firing anyone assumes that employment is in place. Employment just might be the case for the position in question, but I suspect that it is not. Much of the work there, just like this place, is done by unpaid volunteers. Also, the work on Apache OpenOffice has stagnated due to lack of resources (personnel resources, mainly).
Too bad I can't modify this wiki myself.
But you can! Start here.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Surnis wrote:I would have liked to use Base, but it bugs even worse. My (what was the extension? OBT?) files keep getting corrupted and Base can't open them anymore.
If files from OpenOffice "keep getting corrupted" this is usually due to user error, often incorrect closing of the files, and/or over hasty powering off of the computer. There is also a tendency for an embedded database to corrupt; I understand this can be prevented by moving to a split database (search Forum using that term for information).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Surnis wrote:PS: seems I can't get the pictures of my exemples under 128k, so I can't upload them after all. I hope the problem is understandable anyway.
Use these tiny images.
Surnis wrote:I have a serious problem with the anchoring of pictures ... make sure the anchor is "to cell"
In AOO, if you Anchor to a Cell ..., then adding/deleting rows/columns crossed by the image will stretch/contract the image. This does not happen in LO where the default anchor is To Page.

In AOO, if you Anchor to Page ..., then adding/deleting rows/columns crossed by the image does not stretch the image but the image is always located at a position as defined by right-click > Position and size.

nb See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on images in Writer but much applies to Calc.
Attachments
images.ZIP
(562 Bytes) Downloaded 160 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Surnis

Post by Surnis »

Hello,

Just so there is closure on this, I recently tried Libre office instead, and their version of Calc works just fine for this positioning of pictures, so I will simply use that. How strange that both use the same name, must be a story behind that. Thanks to everyone that tried to help.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I recently tried Libre office instead, and their version of Calc works just fine for this positioning of pictures, so I will simply use that. How strange that both use the same name, must be a story behind that.
Here is the "story" (Click on the picture on the Wiki):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice#History
The StarOffice was the common ancestor.
The LibreOffice is a fork of the OpenOffice. The LO has a more active development team.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.