[Solved] How Do I Find, Highlight, and Copy...

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ShinjiTakeyama

[Solved] How Do I Find, Highlight, and Copy...

Post by ShinjiTakeyama »

Hello,

I've got a spreadsheet that I'm sort of using primarily as just an organizational list right now. No real calculations going on.
On one particular sheet I used the search function to highlight a specific word everywhere it occurs on that sheet to make highlighting each row it occurs easier. I went through and Ctrl+left clicked each row and once I got to the end, I tried copying, however it gives me an error saying the function won't work on multiple selections.
Prior to using the search function to make it easier than having to read everything in the sheet, I went through line by line and did just that, but still used Ctrl+left click to highlight entire rows of information before copy and pasting into a new sheet. It worked that way, so I'm guessing something about utilizing the search function is somehow messing it up now, but I can't figure out why, or if there's any way to save the time of having to go through and read all 700 or so rows of text over again.

If I'm not explaining this well enough please let me know.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat May 23, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on whatever terrible version of Windows is most current
JohnSUN-Pensioner
Volunteer

Re: How Do I Find, Highlight, and Copy...

Post by JohnSUN-Pensioner »

Welcome to the forum!
Of course there is an easy way, now I’ll tell you.
I hope all the words that you chose, is it all in one column? Then use Data - Filter - Standard Filter, specify the condition contains "your word". Click More Options and specify that the result should be copied to the desired location.
StandardFilter.png
I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you...
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5, LibreOffice 6.4.4.2 (x64) on Windows 7
If you think that I did not answer your question, make allowances for my imperfect English
ShinjiTakeyama

Post by ShinjiTakeyama »

I will give that a shot, thank you!

Not sure if the context matters, but the keywords I'm grabbing are from different columns as well...so on the attachment I've circled the word I was searching and in some cases it will be in column C or E or both, but any row it appears in at all is the information I want to copy to a different sheet.
OfficeDruid.jpg
JohnSUN-Pensioner
Volunteer

Post by JohnSUN-Pensioner »

That won't be a problem either
StandardFilter2Condition.png
I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you...
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5, LibreOffice 6.4.4.2 (x64) on Windows 7
If you think that I did not answer your question, make allowances for my imperfect English
ShinjiTakeyama

Post by ShinjiTakeyama »

Wow that simplifies things so much!
Thank you for the help!