Breakeven formula

Discuss the spreadsheet application
keneso

Breakeven formula

Post by keneso »

Hi
I am not very good at math, and if possible worse in calc.
I would need a formula to calculate a breakeven point.

Scenario
I have:
some fixed costs (rent/lease, mold, tooling, machinery)
some per unit costs (material, single packaging, components, etc.)
multiple packaging, i.e. 10 pieces of unit with single package put in a box

How do I calculate the breakeven point by changing unit price (recharge percentage).

example
fixed costs
mold for main body = 10000
rent per year = 12000
per unit costs
main body material = 6 (this will be added to the cost of mold diveded by the units made)
screws = 1
screen = 25
battery = 5
cable = 3
plastic wrap = 1
mixed cost?
box containing 10 units = 2

Thank you
OpenOffice 4.1.1 - Win 8.1
RusselB

Re: breakeven formula

Post by RusselB »

The simple answer is Total costs / # of units
How you calculate the Total costs is, I suspect, not as simple as adding up your costs, as you need to recalculate things like your rent so that they are relevant to the number of units, not the number of months.
The simple way of doing that, is to divide the rent by the number of units per year, but then you have the difficulty of determining how many units per year you're going to do.
As an example, given the current Covid-19 situation, if your units were ventilator masks and you were doing 500/day before Covid-19, now you might be doing 5,000/day, so your costs/day for making the masks is going up, but you're making far more masks in the same amount of time. thus the amount of rent you allocate to each mask will drop.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.