[Solved] Rows randomly narrow after each re-opening of file

Discuss the spreadsheet application
famgarnett

[Solved] Rows randomly narrow after each re-opening of file

Post by famgarnett »

SOLVED Every time I re-open any spreadsheet I find random rows all scrunched up and have to readjust them. Drives me crazy. How does this stop?
Last edited by famgarnett on Thu May 07, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Rows randomly narrow after each re-opening of file

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
This is the first that I can recall of hearing this problem, and I haven't encountered it, so in order to do some investigative work I (aka the helpers on this forum) will need you to upload/attach a sample spreadsheet that this is happening with.
Please see How to attach a document for more help regarding uploading/attaching a document and/or making that document anonymous.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

famgarnett wrote:Every time I re-open any spreadsheet I find random rows all scrunched up and have to readjust them. Drives me crazy. How does this stop?
What file type are you using? Always use the native, international standard ODF file types.

And please upload an ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
famgarnett

Post by famgarnett »

OK, it's when I've been using the spreadsheet as .xls not .ods. Still annoying that I'll have to go through all the spreadsheets and rename them all. Why is the conversion to and from xls like this?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

famgarnett wrote: I'll have to go through all the spreadsheets and rename them all.
No, renaming them will not help!

You need to open each .xls file and do a Save As and pick .ods as the format.
Why is the conversion to and from xls like this?
Who knows? The .xls code was proprietary and secret when the translators were developed so everything was reverse-engineered. Also it may be something peculiar to your installation's set up or both.

Each time you open or save a file in .xls format it is translated and tiny translation errors can build up to a sudden problem. That is one reason experienced users recommend always working in .ods and only saving to another format when it is absolutely needed
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
JohnSUN-Pensioner
Volunteer

Post by JohnSUN-Pensioner »

famgarnett wrote:...I'll have to go through all the spreadsheets and rename them all
The office will easily do this for you (but minor errors can still be)
Converter.png
I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you...
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5, LibreOffice 6.4.4.2 (x64) on Windows 7
If you think that I did not answer your question, make allowances for my imperfect English