Saving a Template

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Saving a Template

Postby quarkrad » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:26 pm

I have created a template and it works ok. The (minor) issue is that when one goes File/Save-as - the default is for the document to be saved as an ots document - not a ods document as with the standard default template. The only difference is that the new template is stored in $user/Templates (ubuntu) which is defined with the Paths in Libreoffice. The danger is that the file could be saved as a template rather than a normal spreadsheet.
libreoffice 5.4.1.2 on ubuntu 16.04
quarkrad

Re: Saving a Template

Postby esperantisto » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:06 pm

And what is the danger actually?
AOO 4.2.0 / LibO 6.x/7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.1 (64-bit)
esperantisto
Volunteer

Postby quarkrad » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:34 pm

One would be to accidentally overwrite the template
quarkrad

Postby John_Ha » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:44 pm

Templates are absolutely identical to normal files with one exception: the file qualifier is different. That is the only difference.

1. Take a .ods file fred.ods
2. Rename it fred.ots.

Bingo! You have made it into a template.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby quarkrad » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:54 pm

Thanks - I have the template. If I create and save a template on my Desktop (I'm running linux ubuntu 18.04) when I open it and do whatever with the spreadsheet, then save it (File/Save As....) the window that launches automatically chooses to save the spreadsheet as a .ods file. So all I have to do is to give it a file name and choose where to save it and it is saved as a .ods file. Whereas, having the template in @username/Templates (which is one of the preferred paths to locate the template) when you go through the same open/save as procedure the default is to save it as a .ots file. I.e. save it as a template, not a normal spreadsheet file.
quarkrad

Postby John_Ha » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:28 am

Thank you for the clarification as I was not aware of that.

Your initial "error" was therefore saving your file in the Templates folder so AOO assumed you were saving it as a template.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Calc