Cell automatically changes lowercase "c" to uppercase

Discuss the spreadsheet application
roddy

Cell automatically changes lowercase "c" to uppercase

Post by roddy »

Edit: Split from Wanting to find the last non-empty cell in a column.
roddy, please start a new topic for a new question. This is forum policy. 
I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me how Column F in my spreadsheet automatically changes any lowercase "c" into an uppercase "C".
I want it to do that, and it is doing it, but I don't see any auto-formatting tied to the cells in that column. How does it do that?

In God's Harmony
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: New question requires new topic
In God's Harmony

macOS 13.2
OpenOffice 4.1.13
robleyd

Re: Wanting to find the last non-empty cell in a column

Post by robleyd »

Presumably you have earlier entries which contain the uppercase letter?

From the HELP - F1 and search AutoInput:

Automatic Text or Number Completion
When making an entry in a cell, OpenOffice Calc automatically suggests matching input found in the same column. This function is known as AutoInput.
To turn the AutoInput on and off, set or remove the check mark in front of Tools - Cell Contents - AutoInput.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
roddy

Post by roddy »

robleyd,
I appreciate your input. I'm aware of how AutoInput functions, but this doesn't seem to be what is changing my entering a lowercase "c", pressing enter and converting it to an uppercase "C". This was a blank template with no previous entries, and the very first entry was a lowercase "c" and pressing enter converts it to uppercase, although this is the desired result.

If I enter any other letter(s) in that same cell, they never pop-up a suggestion when going to the next cell down the same column as it does in other fields. AutoInput allows the user to choose from previous entries, but it doesn't force a lowercase character to become uppercase.

In God's Harmony
In God's Harmony

macOS 13.2
OpenOffice 4.1.13
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

We could keep guessing at various autocorrect options??
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
roddy

Post by roddy »

I Will keep guessing as you suggest, till I'm guessed out...hahaha
Running out of ideas as to how it was done. I have no way of contacting the person who made the template. That is if they are even aware of it.

In God's Harmony
In God's Harmony

macOS 13.2
OpenOffice 4.1.13
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

"We" meaning those of us without the spreadsheet and local (to you) OpenOffice configuration settings in front of us. Perhaps you could check your autocorrect settings and see if there is anything there that might explain the behaviour.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Might there be a hidden row, with a Capital C in that column?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
roddy

Post by roddy »

I don't see one, but you can download the spreadsheet and take a look if you like. You might find something I overlooked. The link to download is a few posts up.

In God's Harmony
In God's Harmony

macOS 13.2
OpenOffice 4.1.13
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You have a capital C in F10; if you clear this, and enter small c, it seems influenced by the capital C in F13, F14, F15. Clear all these as well, and small c in column F is not forced to Capital C. But, as your Column is showing cleared or not cleared, why do you want small c and Capital C in that column? An unambiguous indicator (Capital C) is called for.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

It works fine in my LibreÍoffice 6.2.8 version, and in the AOO 4.1.5 portable.

It is depends on your local setting of the Autocorrect feature or some other settings.
LowerCase.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
roddy

Post by roddy »

To RoryOF and Zizi64,

Thanks for looking into this.

RoryOF: I don't want a lowercase "c". I want it to work the way it does in OpenOffice where I enter a lowercase "c" and it converts it to uppercase "C". I just wanted to know how it does it, and it is not because of AutoInput or what is entered in any other cell in Column F. If you enter any other letter other than "C" or "c", those letters will not convert to uppercase. This tells me that there must be some hidden formula/formatting somewhere. Again, I do want the uppercase "C" conversion as it is working.

Zizi64: I also opened it in LibreOffice and noticed that entering a lowercase "c" will not convert to an uppercase "C". This is why I'm asking the question of how it happens in OpenOffice. I am trying to have the F Column automatically convert any lowercase "c" to an uppercase "C" as it does in OpenOffice.

In God's Harmony
In God's Harmony

macOS 13.2
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I also opened it in LibreOffice and noticed that entering a lowercase "c" will not convert to an uppercase "C". This is why I'm asking the question of how it happens in OpenOffice.
We can not see the settings of your OpenOffice. We can guessing only.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
roddy

Post by roddy »

My AutoCorrect options haven't changed in years. This is a template I downloaded from ExcelTemplate.net, and the template has this feature programmed in somehow, irrelevant of my AutoCorrect settings in OpenOffice, yet will not carry over into LibreOffice. The template description demonstrates this capitalization of "C", that's how I know it is not connected to my AutoCorrect options since in my options I have nothing listed to correct a lowercase "c" to uppercase. If it was so, wouldn't any "c" I type in any worksheet, cell, etc. be converted to uppercase? Not sure, but I think this is how it would work. No?
If interested, although I have made some additions to the template, that particular column with the "C" functions as I have stated. Here is the link to the template if any want to look into this mystery:

https://exceltemplate.net/budget/checkbook-register/

Just click on the "Yes" to the right of "Free" below the worksheet images to download the template. Thanks again to all of you here.

In God's Harmony
In God's Harmony

macOS 13.2
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I just downloaded the .zipped content. It contains an.xls, and an .ots template file.
Both of these files works in my Libreoffice 6.2.8, and the .ots works in my AOO 4.1.5 portable version.

But the .xls version has a strange behavior after opening in the AOO 4.1.5.:
- Capitalised C letters appeared when I typed-in lowercace c letters.
- and the highlighted cells shifted from the last typed-in c letter:
Strange behavior.png
Do not use the .xls version.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roddy

Post by roddy »

Zizi64,
The highlighting of the entire row when you place the "C" is the expected behavior and should happen with both file types both in OpenOffice and LibreOffice.
This allows you to see what transaction has been cleared by the bank. And the capitalization of "c" is also correct but doesn't happen in LibreOffice, but it should.
In God's Harmony

macOS 13.2
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The highlighting of the entire row when you place the "C" is the expected behavior and should happen with both file types both in OpenOffice and LibreOffice.
As you can see it: not the rows containing "C" will be highlighted in the AOO 4.1.5 (in the .xls ).
roddy

Post by roddy »

Zizi64,
Sorry, I just realized that the highlighted rows are now below and no entries. That is odd.
That strange behavior with the .xls file also happens on my versions of AOO or LO.
If you convert the .xls to .xlsx it shouldn't happen anymore.
In God's Harmony

macOS 13.2
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I suggest you to use the .ots version. The international standard ODF is the native file format of the AOO and LO.
roddy

Post by roddy »

I have been using it. I only gave the suggestion of the .xlsx since it is the newer file format for those who may be trying to open it in Excel.
In God's Harmony

macOS 13.2
OpenOffice 4.1.13