Inserting specific data from URL to Calc?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
roboticfood

Inserting specific data from URL to Calc?

Post by roboticfood »

I want one specific number from a URL to be inserted in a cell in my spreadsheet and have it be updated whenever I open the spreadsheet.

I have tried using Insert > Link to External Data but I can only get everything on the page when I only want one number.

The URL is http://services.runescape.com/m=itemdb_ ... m?obj=1749 and I want the "Current Guide Price" number to be exported to myspreadsheet.

Thanks in advance!
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Inserting specific data from URL to Calc?

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
I regret that I have to say that the website you are referencing is not set up for the type of access you're wanting.
The page, after looking at the html code, appears to be nearly 100% hard coded, rather than having the information stored in html tables, which would make this a lot easier.
The only thing I can think of, is to insert the entire page from the website onto a helper page (eg: Sheet2), then use a formula on Sheet1 to search for the Current Guide Price.. or, as I suspect, just extract the number from the end of line 50 on Sheet2 (that's the line number I saw that entry in when I tested the insert).
You'll want to extract just the number, and there have been a few requests as to how to extract the number from the end of a string.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
roboticfood

Post by roboticfood »

Thank you so much for the reply!

So far I have it calling to Sheet2 and that part works but I am having trouble extracting the number from the string though. I tried looking it up but could only find stuff for making macros which I don't really understand.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

You need to attach a copy of your spreadsheet here (see How to attach a document) for us to be able to give the highest level of assistance.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
roboticfood

Post by roboticfood »

Sorry for the late reply. Here is my current document.
Thanks.
Attachments
Runescape tanning guide.ods
(17.05 KiB) Downloaded 107 times