the final table should look like this
abc99 10
abc58 10
abc65 10
def99 20
def58 20
def65 20

any help is appreciated
Last edited by cartoonjazz on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
openoffice 4.1.2 windows 10
RusselB

Re: append series of suffixes & apply price based on root

Post by RusselB »

Easily done in Calc, not sure about Base.
My question is, how is it determined which suffix should be applied the the SKU?
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Setspeak: Do you want to get concatenated all the possible "pairs" out of the Cartesian product "SetOfSku x SetOfSuffix" in a column?
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
cartoonjazz

Post by cartoonjazz »

I would like all possible suffixes applied to all skus
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Sigh.
I had hoped for a "YES" or "NO", probably followed by additional explanations.
Since I want to get this from my to-do, I take your answer for a "yes", and post my respective statements:

-0- Create a few helper columns, and don't be too reluctant with it. Helpers often are the essential means to get a clear and maintainable structure in spreadsheets.
Thus:
-1- Calculate the number of expected rows in advance and create a column simply giving the indices for the results from 1 to the highest.
-2a- Create a column for the index into the column of primary items (SKU in your case) per row of the results.
-2b- As I uderstand your question, this will also be the index into the column of values (prices in your case).
-2b-- Concerning this statement I don't actually believe it makes sense in the real world.
-3- Create a column for the index into the column of secondary items ("suffixes" in your case) per row of the results.
-3-- If you intend to treat things looking like numbers as strings, definitely make them being strings from the beginning: Apply the 'Numbers' format code '@' ('Text') to the respective cells (a column) .
-4- Create the column for the results to be concatenated from the entries in the primary and secondary column using the mentioned indices.
-5- Create the column for the additional values and fill it in the appropriate way - using the first index or not.

Depending on the situation you may then want to copy the results and to PasteSpecial them as constant content elsewhere.

What formulas you can use is shown in the attached example. Your questions and your answers to questions in return might be in the future as thorough as -hopefully, at least intentionally- this answer is. Long series of incomplete posts are wasting time.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Trivial to do and easy to maintain in Base.

Tutorial: [SQL] JOINing 2 row sets
Attachments
CartesianProduct_t101433.odb
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
cartoonjazz

Re: Append series of suffixes & apply price based on root

Post by cartoonjazz »

Thank you, the base method definitely easiest works great