Importing Windows 10 excel spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
artachoke13

Importing Windows 10 excel spreadsheet

Post by artachoke13 »

I am completely new to OpenOffice and would like easy directions to import my Windows 10 excel spreadsheet. Also how to save my current spreadsheet to import and how to save a copy to send to others. Thanks for any help you can give me.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Importing Windows 10 excel spreadsheet

Post by Zizi64 »

would like easy directions to import my Windows 10 excel spreadsheet.
From the AOO/LO Menu: File - Open - (browse your file in the Open dialog) - Open/OK button.

The category "Windows 10 Excel" is not a precise name. Is your file .xlsx type? Then I suggest you to use the LibreOffice. The LO can save into the strict version of the OOXML file format, but the Apache OpenOffice can not. Note: the MS Office not handle the Strict version of the OOXML file formats by default. (The OOXML is the default file format of the MS Office, and it has two main version: the Strict one and the Transitional one.)
It is better to store your important documents in the International Standard ODF file formats. Just export a copy in the foreign file format at end of the editing. And the newer version of the MS Office can open the ODF file formats (the 1.1. version of it).

Or has your document .xls format? Or any other (csv, .tsv, .txt, ... etc(??
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
artachoke13

Post by artachoke13 »

My file is an .xls Microsoft no longer is supporting windows 10 and I was looking for somewhere else to post to and update my spreadsheet. Thanks for your input.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Windows 10 is still the current version of MS Windows.
MS recently (2020-01-14 if I remember correctly) discontinued support (supply of security patches) for Windows 7.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It is impossible to give any advice to Windows users who can not distinguish between their operating system, thier applications, file types and the misleading icons displayed by that operating system while hiding away file name extensions.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Microsoft, an its Windows 10 supports the .xls file format today. However you can not install the older version MS OFFICE software packs (nor the older standalone Excel application) onto the Windows 10. You must buy the recent MS OFFICE pack or you can use the free and open source alternatives: the Apache OpenOffice or the LibreOffice.

If you want to ASSIGN the .xls file type to the LibreOffice, then you can do it during the CUSTOM INSTALLATION of the LO. After the installation you must use the features of the Windows 10 to assign thi file types to a relevant application.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.