[Solved] Keep getting bad allocation and no save after input

Discuss the spreadsheet application
fatgreta

[Solved] Keep getting bad allocation and no save after input

Post by fatgreta »

I have switched from saving files as .xls to .ods in hopes of no longer having them crash and need to be recovered and losing data, which happens as of my latest survey 1.2 out of every 5 saves (6 of the last 18). I've only been specifically counting since then but that strikes me as about what it's been like since I first started having this problem with Open Office many years ago. It's terribly frustrating. I get a message saying bad allocation, some error code, then the application shuts down. When I recover the file, all data entered in the last session is lost. I've taken to leaving the file open for 10 minutes before saving in hopes of auto save kicking in, but that does not always happen despite the fact that i have that option enabled. In fact, the fact that it has not yet happened is almost certain indication that when I manually save it's going to crash. The progress bar along the bottom starts turning more and more green, at about half-way the pop up window appears briefly then the whole thing crashes. I've posted intermittently over the years trying to figure out why this program so frequently crashes for me, and am still hoping for some kind of solution to this bedeviling problem.

Thanks for any help,

Chris
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Why do I keep getting bad allocation and no save after i

Post by RoryOF »

Check that Windows 10 is fully updated, and then check your Windows Defender and ransom-ware settings. This tutorial should be helpful:

[Tutorial] Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Search the Calc forum with bad allocation.

I quickly found that it seems to be a bug which only affects very large files - see Issue 125006 - Calc Consistently crashing, usually with "Fatal Error - Bad Allocation"

You might like to switch to LibreOffice and see if LO is better as it is almost certain never to be fixed in AOO - it was reported in 2014.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
fatgreta

Post by fatgreta »

John_Ha wrote:Search the Calc forum with bad allocation.

I quickly found that it seems to be a bug which only affects very large files - see Issue 125006 - Calc Consistently crashing, usually with "Fatal Error - Bad Allocation"

You might like to switch to LibreOffice and see if LO is better as it is almost certain never to be fixed in AOO - it was reported in 2014.
Thank you! I should have thought to mention that the problem always occurs with large files. I will investigate LibreOffice, thank you for your help with this.
a4jp

Post by a4jp »

I'm getting the same error but my files are small. 26 x 140 cells.

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎2020/‎11/‎13 ‎Fri
OS build 19044.1387
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

4.1.11 OpenOffice Calc
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The file size is not just based on the number of cells used in the file. Check the actual file size by opening Windows Explorer and then right clicking on the file and selecting Properties
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
a4jp

Post by a4jp »

I'm using version 4.1.11 and still get this type of crash even on small spreadsheet files. Windows 11 Pro latest version.

For example 48.1 KB even with a small image in the file.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Switch to LibreOffice.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
fatgreta

Post by fatgreta »

John_Ha wrote:Switch to LibreOffice.
I did that an never had the problem again.